• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potential - Help in Denver

K10A

Hi all , I am going to bid on a non mil truck in Denver and if I win would potentially need help with recovering it, if the tow truck isn't too expensive.
It weighs about 10k
I am not asking for freebies.
It is a special needs situation, truck is damaged and needs care to not be damaged further.
It would be around the 9th-15th? of next month.
Please PM if you can help. Thanks! - A

Last edited:

fasttruck

There is no such thing as a tow truck this is not expensive. If you have a picture of the subject truck post it so people will know how to figure the job. Without seeing it I would think you will need a roll back truck or a landoll trailer.

K10A

I said "not too expensive", not cheap or free. I know it will need a flatbed or trailer.
I am getting quotes for hauling it home.
It is a cab over mini dump truck the frame is 98% broken through on both sides right in front of the rear spring hanger.

fasttruck

Was this overloaded ? Don't tell me people are still overloading dump trucks ! Hope the brakes, clutch etc are in better shape than the frame.

K10A

I have no idea if it was overloaded. My theory is the since this is a former landscape truck it had a "backpack" tool box on it between the cab and dump box so the dump box got mounted too far back it also wasnt mounted properly im my opinion. These trucks are known to have frame issues. Looking at the picture it has a LOT of holes in it. The mileage is very low so I think it should be in ok shape.

K10A

The adventure was a success! No misadventures other than some silly delays.

It runs and moves after some battery charging.

It pushed the drivetrain forward a few inches and ruined the rear most mounts but it didnt hit the radiator or seem to damage anything else.

fasttruck

I see the reason the frame broke is the body is too long for the frame so when it was dumped and the center of gravity moved to the rear it overloaded the frame and it broke. Or the rear axle is too far forward leaving the hinge at the rear of the body poorly supported by the now leveraged rear suspension. If they dumped a heavy load I would be surprised if the front wheels did not come off the ground. Seem if the manufacturer offers a reinforced or otherwise heavier frame option for dump truck service. Most full size dump trucks have a double frame which is stronger (and heavier) than the ones offered for tractors and such. Which is why tractors do not fare well when converted to dump trucks as the frames are too light. Maybe you can fishplate the frame and salvage this but if the dump truck use is to be continued I would suggest a shorter body and move the rear axle closer to the rear of the frame.

K10A

Yes it is way too far back, mounted incorrectly, and the frame is also swiss cheese from the factory at the break location.
Today I straightened the frame and started the repairs.
The drive train was shoved forward so I fixed that and a rolled V belt from when it hit the shroud.
The oil filter got a tiny hole from hitting the motor mount. No biggie.
I will probably end up shortening the box and moving the rear pivot point to the correct location.
The reason they mounted it so far back is the headache / cab protector is not tall enough so they just shoved it back to clear.
It starts and moves easily and the mileage is a true measly 64k.

fasttruck

From looking at the pics the body was proportioned for a F 350 Ford which has a lower cab and a longer frame. PO must have got it in a junk yard and farmer engineered it to fit. I would think the hinge would be near the rear spring hanger for the rear axle and the rear cross member would be not too far behind that. Are there any factor or dealer assembled trucks I n your area to comparison shop ?

K10A

My friend has an older one that is correct and not broken , I can compare to,except his is a little better in that his bed a drop side.
I am not worried about it. I can make it right, it will just take some work.
Who ever the installer was failed miserably.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks