• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Brake Booster Leak

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just noticed that I’m getting a leak of power steering fluid from the brake booster right where it bolts to the master cylinder. I just replaced both of these with rebuilt parts a few months ago and have put maybe 15-20 miles on them. Did I just get a lemon of a rebuit booster? Or am I missing something? 6CF6FC81-1E15-4038-A95F-2A0B6905FAE1.jpeg

cucvrus

Are you certain that it is power steering fluid. And did you use power steering fluid. I always use power steering fluid. I see guys use ATF and that is not what came from the factory. That is not as thick as Power steering fluid. 1656580600410.png Another thing that I noticed is that the new brake master cylinders are stamped for DOT 3 fluid and I put DOT 5 in them. Not sure if there is a difference in the seals. Good Luck.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you certain that it is power steering fluid. And did you use power steering fluid. I always use power steering fluid. I see guys use ATF and that is not what came from the factory. That is not as thick as Power steering fluid. View attachment 871873 Another thing that I noticed is that the new brake master cylinders are stamped for DOT 3 fluid and I put DOT 5 in them. Not sure if there is a difference in the seals. Good Luck.
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s power steering fluid that is leaking. I did use DOT 5 for the brake fluid which from Napa has a purple color. The fluid I have leaking is clear and I’ve also had to top off the power steering reservoir. I didn’t use ATF. The leak is pretty significant, with the vehicle started and push/holding the brake for 5 seconds cause it to have noticeable fluid on the underside with a drip or two. I’ve checked hose connections as well and they’re tight with no signs of leaks.

I was able to get a warranty replacement for the booster so hopefully I have better luck with this one.

Last edited:

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the warranty replacement in so we’ll see how this one works, so far so good

LT67

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s power steering fluid that is leaking. I did use DOT 5 for the brake fluid which from Napa has a purple color. The fluid I have leaking is clear and I’ve also had to top off the power steering reservoir. I didn’t use ATF. The leak is pretty significant, with the vehicle started and push/holding the brake for 5 seconds cause it to have noticeable fluid on the underside with a drip or two. I’ve checked hose connections as well and they’re tight with no signs of leaks.

I was able to get a warranty replacement for the booster so hopefully I have better luck with this one.
Could be your hydro boost unit...

The hydro boost unit on my 86 M1008 has a slight leak and needs to be replaced

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks