• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power distribution box, generator outlet plug

NormB

This was for my new (to me, 233 hours) MEP-803a.

With the 802 I was able to tie in a 4500 watt space heater, then a 2000 and/or 5500 watt water heater element in a trash can full of water, but MAN that water gets hot fast.

Got to thinking about how I’d run power into the house, backfeed into breaker panel (I’ll do in our next home when it’s built in about 3-4 years, not the current one) or run a wire to an outlet of some type when someone here posted about power distribution boxes.

Found a CEP (made in America) 8706GU (240 volt, 120 volt with pass-through) at the usual auction place, bought 50 feet of 6/4 flexible conductor and a couple of connectors:

-Marinco CS6369 125/250v master outlet,
-Cover - Leviton 7770 (aluminum, also available in pricier yellow PVC - will spray with 383 anyway)
-Marinco CS6365N 50a 125/250 plug (for cs6369)
and
-CS6364 (female plug for input to PDU).

9638A8BE-AA94-43A6-945F-EFD423F0CECF.jpg66E79AEE-B49F-4C94-B480-9D4B6F799277.jpg9F827612-D5FF-4880-A047-E6ABDBF1AF60.jpg227CE657-F55E-4D13-8230-DA52CAA7624B.jpgA54C14AD-10A5-4A1B-8406-F382DCAB409A.jpg

I added a photo of getting the box out the side of the genset ‘cause it was a REAL PITA. I used a putty knife blade to coax the edge of the box past the opening. I’ll apply a file/grinder to the edges of the opening (judiciously) to make for easier reassembly.

Just waiting on a feed-through circuit breaker I ordered - there’s one in the PDU box - 50 amp, but I want something on-board the genset for any future creative wiring or other uses.

Had some screws left over from the high-back seat upgrade which worked fine to hold the outlet/cover in place (8-32, IIRC, yellow-zinc), replacing all the nuts/screws I can on the genset with SS anyway (got those in a box), and will add in some soundproofing (butyl stuff w/ foil backing used on firewalls) to the inside of the generator.

Fuel return line came in the mail today, hope to get that installed tomorrow.

FWIW.

Norm

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

That is some odd ball plug setup you have. Why not just make it a standard plug if you buying all the stuff anyway?

Dock Rocker

That is some odd ball plug setup you have. Why not just make it a standard plug if you buying all the stuff anyway?
Those are just 50 amp twist lock plugs. They are very common and can save your but if someone trips over your cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NormB

The PDU/box came with the CS whatsit plug already installed, so in making/buying an extension cord for it, I needed the matching female plug and figured while I was at it, I’d make a water/weather-resistant and rodent proof exit for the power connection by replacing the cloth/rope cone arrangement with the flap and socket.

As Dock Rocker mentioned, trip hazard’s one thing, a standard 1- or2-phase plug/socket is too easily worked loose to expose high-voltage prongs.

In the interest of safety, security, reliability, consistency (extension cord when coiled has ends that plug into each other), I went with what I used.

You’re welcome.

NB

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the same plugs. They are real common, especially with field expedient power distribution from rental companies. Those little spider boxes common to job sites have them.

20180909_173833-666943.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks