• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering kit for M35A2

FrankUSMC

I see that Inter Agency Motor Pool will be making the power steering kits again. The kit is called the Air-O-Matic. Has any one put one on there truck? if so, is it worth the $1800 price tag? any comments on it?
Thanks!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

wsucougarx

Not sure, I just know I can buy another deuce for $1800:) Kind of hard for me to justify buying one of those kits if I can increase my motorpool by one more:)

FrankUSMC

I can see that, but, I have 5 deuces....plus a half track, 1941 WC-1 Dodge, 3 WWII Internationals, the WWII jeep, I really do not need another truck. The plan of battle here is to "thin The herd" down to just two Deuces. I want to make one truck my main user truck, by putting all the extra stuff I have picked up on her.
Again, I see your point, and with nice trucks selling for that just down the road from me.....it is hard to be strong...Trust the force Luke...
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

jasonjc

My M109 came with that kit on it. It's nice but I would have a hard time spending that much for one. I'd buy 2 more trucks :p As the 109 was only $900 with all the GL crap.

rizzo

I have one. its a lot nicer, but I don't think it is worth the money unless you have tires bigger than 11.00's or extra money.

dm22630

Unless you are extremely weak OR do a lot of offroading....do NOT waste your $$$

I bought a deuce for $1300 from GL & it came with air-o-matic installed.

Go to a base near you when a lot of deuces are rolling through GL & preview them. Just bid on ones w/air-o-matic if you want it so bad.

NOT WORTH $1800!!!!

The only real differences I notice with mine is.....

1. Cool hissing sound whenever I turn the wheel.
2. Better off road handling (when I run over a stump or rock, the wheel does not rip out of my hand and spin uncontrollably like deuces w/out power steering).
3. Slightly easier to turn wheel at low speeds (i.e. --- parking lots).

2cents

Here is under a deuce WITH and WITHOUT air-o-matic.....

Attachments

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 that came with Air Assist. They are nice but I would not spend $1800. There are other cheaper applications available.
The assist is good for me since I use mine in the woods in close quarters. 3 years ago while in the heat of backing between 2 trees {withour air assist} I was not paying attention and got my thumb too close to the underside of the wheel, hit a stump and broke the tip of my thumb. For just occasional driving for fun, parades, etc I would not go to the expense.

tmbrwolf

$1800.00 seems steep, the kits are made for the military by Maradyne Corp and were going for around $1200.00, I'd try to contact them and see what it would cost, I was able to order them in bulk and get them from them for $850.00 each, that was several years ago however and the prices surely have changed (and it was a government order), I wouldn't personally purchase one, but then I've had several cases of "duece thumb" during my military career!

Flea

I have one and I really enjoy it. It's much easier to do low-speed maneuvering with it, but I would be troubled spending $1800 for it.

jatonka

power steering for the deuce

We work our trucks off road most of the time. I put airomatic air assist steering on right away on the dump truck and it made life a lot better. Been on old smokey for 8 years now and no problems at all. If you don't want to pay that much for a brand new one, maybe you could check with the guys that got them on trucks at GL auction and don't need them, $500 should be plenty for a used one if they really don't need it. JT

HeadWizard

I've got it on Shorty the bobbed deuce. It was almost impossible to drive with the 16.00 XL's without the air assist. Two more of the fleet have it also. It helps, but I wouldn't spend the $1800, I'd find one that had it already.

Flatlander

Bought two complete kits off of early 80's Peterbilts from a wrecking yard. $125 a piece. I'll have to replace the ends for the correct deuce draglink, but that's about it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks