• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Steering Possibility?

abh3

I was browsing through the Surplus Center catalog (yeah, I know, I need to get a life!) and found a 'steering valve/torque generator' that might splice into the steering column shaft: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009101906584132&item=9-7124&catname=hydraulic

This would avoid changing the entire steering box or going completely hydraulic. I'd really like to have P/S on the 'dump deuce' but would like to avoid the worst-case scenario of explaining to a jury the extent of my professional engineering background, etc. if some old P/S box swap or full hydraulic rig fails in a bad way.

Two steering grade U-joints, brackets, five-ton P/S pump, a resevoir, hoses and some fab work would do it. Any thoughts on this, anyone have experience with these devices?

Thanks!

Ride2Kill

I don't have any experience with them, but looks like a great way to add power steering. One thing to keep in mind is the size of the cylinder you use on the linkage. To big of cylinder will result in very slow steering.

Carl_in_NH

By the time you're done getting parts and spending your time building, will you have saved anything over the $1200 bolt-on air-assist kits? Sometimes it's just plain fun to build something new - and if that's the case then by all means do what you want - but if all you really want is to make the truck easier to drive, then add up all the costs involved, including your time, and see if you're really saving anything significant.

mudguppy

i'd take hydraulic over air anyday, even if it is just "assist". besides the pump, lines, and resevoir, what else are you missing that'd make it cost anywhere close to $1200?

i'd say go for it. even if it performed as well as the air kit (read: as weak as) you'd probably still gain reliability and a lower overall cost.

abh3

Ridetokill: The beauty of these devices is there is NO hyd. cylinder on the linkage, it's all in the torque generator itself, pressure hose in, return hose out.

Carl_in_NH: I understand what you're saying but I have Air-O-Matic on my A3 (my Pretty Deuce) and it ain't power steering in the usual sense of the word. With the Dump Deuce loaded getting turned around in the woods to dump is a pain, I don't think air assist is the best solution.

Westech: I was thinking about using a 5-ton P/S pump on the front of the engine, I've seen them cheap enough.

Yes, it'll need a relief valve in the circuit but with some shopping around and horse trading I think the parts can be aquired. I figure $450 for the torque generator, $100 for the pump, $40 for a relief valve, got all kinds of hoses, fittings, resevoir around here... I'd just like some input from someone w/ experience with these things on something, anything, before letting fly with the credit card!

fireman9

Keep in mind that the unit is only rated 1100 inch pounds output = about 92 foot pounds

I'm goning to see how hard it is to turn the steering wheel while parked in the morning.

We Had the same system on a Farmall 400 loader tractor. Don't know if it was the same Cu. inch, but it would not turn the front wheels with any weight in the bucket. Worked very well when moving at all though. Like I said, have no idea what size valve was on the tractor.

Matt

abh3

92 foot pounds sure doesn't sound like much does it? I've never tried to measure what it takes to turn the wheel but, when loaded especially, it's tough. Add in some rough terrain getting turned around to dump and it's worst. I'm a taller guy and all that flailing around in that small cab can be tough on the elbows! :p

Maybe I should put a torque wrench on the wheel to see what kind force/resistance is in play here...

yeager1

92 foot pounds sure doesn't sound like much does it?
Does anyone make a larger size of this unit? Seems like a good idea, but 92 foot pounds does seems a little low, probably on the low end of adaquate for parking lot use. For the trouble to install, a bigger gain, say 150-200 foot pounds would be nice.

falcody

Banned
Doesn't anyone here have any expertise with this style of power steering? I think it's a great idea, and could be built fairly cheap if it will indeed work.

Cody

GoHot229

How about a rack and pinion..............no serriously, stay on this, I think you ARE on to something with theese parts, just a bit more figureing parts and pumps. By the way, the power steering pumps from the big block Olds and Buicks from the 70's and 80's were supposed to make considerably more pump presure, and stay togather, than the average Chev or Dodge or GM pumps. Seems they were used for alot of hobby related things that needed a tough hipower pump

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
92 foot pounds sure doesn't sound like much does it? I've never tried to measure what it takes to turn the wheel but, when loaded especially, it's tough. Add in some rough terrain getting turned around to dump and it's worst. I'm a taller guy and all that flailing around in that small cab can be tough on the elbows! :p

Maybe I should put a torque wrench on the wheel to see what kind force/resistance is in play here...
92ft/lbs would make a heck of a difference. I'd bet the air assist doesn't put out near that much at 120psi and the cylinder is mounted were you don't have the advantage of the stock steering gear reduction as you would with the torque generator.

What's the stock gearbox ratio? That would tell you how much torque you'd have at the wheels.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

rustystud

I think I'm fixing to bite the bullet on one of these units. Anybody used one?

I'm thinking I could just put this in line on the steering shaft and not have to even add any u-joints.

m16ty , I'm with you ! I think this is a great way to fix our steering problems without having to do major surgery on our trucks. It also looks to be a whole lot cheaper too ! I have tried to find a Ross HF54 gear box with no luck, and even if I did, they are so rare and parts so scarce, I'm afraid after going to all the trouble to retrofit it on the truck, something would break and I would be unable to find replacement parts !
I did find a place that sells rebuilt units, but I would not pay there price. So I believe this torque generator just might be a viable option for use.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this has been discussed several times over the years. my view is that putting additional torque through the old steering box to turn the wheels, is just begging for it to fail.

Yeah but steering boxes are easily replaceable. Custom parts or even custom hydraulic setups are not cheap.

i think this is the route I'm going too.... I have a few leads on one of these units. i figure $250 to $500 for one of these torque generators plus a belt driven pump for around $100 and then some fab work make my own hoses I should be able to do this for no more then $600 to $650 possibly even a few hundred cheaper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks