• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prc77 problems

nealbrown

Hi everyone, I am new to this form. My first question is about prc77. I have two of them one was never issued and both have the same problem. I can radio traffic but I can’t communicate back. I tried with a few other people at a display I was at. The two other guys could receive and talk. But when I tried I could hear them. But they couldn’t hear me. One guy said he could hear me keying up and that’s it. I hope I can get some answer and thanks. Neal

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might have a bad mic or connector on it.

Also, you may not be generating the squelch tone. Have them set their radio to "old" squelch and try that.

DG

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squelch is an electronic "hiss stopper" used on FM radios. Basic FM receivers will deliver this hiss between stations without squelch, or sometimes known as muting in HI-FI receivers.

If there is no signal, it will mute the radio. This is called "Old Squelch" in military commo parlance.

New squelch uses an unobtrusive audio tone transmitted to open up the audio path when received by a radio so equipped.

Dennis

nealbrown

Squelch is an electronic "hiss stopper" used on FM radios. Basic FM receivers will deliver this hiss between stations without squelch, or sometimes known as muting in HI-FI receivers.

If there is no signal, it will mute the radio. This is called "Old Squelch" in military commo parlance.

New squelch uses an unobtrusive audio tone transmitted to open up the audio path when received by a radio so equipped.

Dennis
Thanks for the info I’ll give it a try. It’s just weird that my one prc77 that was never issued is having problems. Thanks again

papakb

Keep in mind that your "once never issued" PRC-77 is now getting on to be 50 years old and sitting on the shelf has never been a good thing for any of the VRC-12 series of radios. They have a propensity to die on the shelf in the dark of the night when there's no one around. A well known phenomena.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind that your "once never issued" PRC-77 is now getting on to be 50 years old and sitting on the shelf has never been a good thing for any of the VRC-12 series of radios. They have a propensity to die on the shelf in the dark of the night when there's no one around. A well known phenomena.
I did not know this. Do we need to exercise our PRCs from time to time?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks