• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pre-lub starter on cummins

MilitaryRestoration

Has anyone used a pre-lub starter on their truck? Or seen one with it on. Been thinking about doing this as it is cheaper than a regular starter. However I would need to buy the wiring kit and also the piping for the oil.... opinions accepted ;-)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um, what is a pre-lube starter? I know what a preluber is, put one on the M35, prime the oil pressure for 60 sec, then start....

Dennis

oilcan

Here's the story I got.

Apparently that starter is used on some cummins powered dozers, and it takes a long time for them to crank over. The oil ports are to keep the starter cool while it's doing all that work.

Don't take my word on it, because I heard it 3rd hand and this information could be completely wrong.

If the starter does have an oil pump in it, that could be really handy. (Obviously!)

MilitaryRestoration

According to the manufacturer there is an oil pump on the butt end of the starter. The starter cannot crank over until it senses that the oil pressure is to a certain psi. Therefore no starts with 8-15 second delays in oil pressure... Would be a great fix to the deuces.
here is it from their site:
How It Works
The patented Prelub™ system is automatically wired to your machine's existing start switch. Simply turn the switch to the "start" position. The Prelub™ system will automatically pressurize your engine with oil pressure. Only then will the engine be allowed to crank. Your engine's oil passages, oil filters, and all critical parts from the turbocharger to the crankshaft are pressurized with oil before anything moves. Dry start wear is significantly reduced and total engine wear will be reduced by up to 60%. Overall engine life can be extended up to 35-40%. (See software to measure savings in your application.)

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We installed a mess of these on UPS trucks that were loosing cams overnight. They are a joke with the original relay and timer. Maybe 3 seconds before the starter engages. If you were to install a switch that you could manually turn the pump on, that might be OK. I think it would be a waste of your money though.

oilcan

That's pretty slick, and I'm glad my info was wrong. What do you have to lose by trying it out?

MilitaryRestoration

Will - so yay or nay...? I've got a bad starter in the 5ton so I have to replace it and figured since it was initially cheaper than a regular starter I'd go with it, but if not really that worth it and it's just one more thing to go wrong then I'll just go with a regular starter. Like i said 'opinions accepted' :) Thank You for help everyone so far

garp

Nay. Caterpillar bought into this awhile back. The starters fail at a very high rate due to the fact to run the pump function it spins the starter with out pulling in the drive. This spins the internals faster than they are intended. You end up with a starter with its windings blown out. they still use em on some generators,but we have removed them from all the machines that ever had em on. Plus with a larger engine and cold oil, you run out of battery before you get oil pressure. So good in theory, poor in reality.

MilitaryRestoration

glad you brought that up about the battery issue, slipped my mind. Thank You everyone for the input, maybe and sounds like I better just go with the regular starter... too bad this idea can't be improved, it's got the potential to being good in reality, with fine tuning so to speak

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Garp is correct. They are prone to failure at a rapid rate. There are check valves and relays and wiring involved. The NHC builds OP in a very resonable ammount of time. I would say nay on it.

Coldfusion21

I'm not sure how you would apply it in the large diesel engine world but with smaller turbo gas engines they have air pressurized diaphrams that hold a certain number of quarts of oil at the last ran oil pressure. The basic kits have a manual valve on the end of a cylinder, the fancy ones have an electronic valve so it can be remotly opened.

If you could scale up something like this to better suit the capacity of a large engine it seems pretty neat.

www.cantonracingproducts.com - 24-006 - ACCUSUMP 3QT NO VALVE

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=24-016

Ironclad

Hi JWaller, your link goes to a generic website displaying theater performances. I think somebody hijacked your website. I'm interested in your spin-on filter. Can you give website please?

jwaller

Unforgiven

I actually have an Accusump, brand spankin' new in the box, that I never used. I was going to put it on a SB Chevy project that had remote oil filters and an oil cooler. So plumbing it in would have been easy.

How difficult would it be to adapt the Accusump to the Multifuel in order to preoil it before cranking? Are there oil galleys available on the side of the block to tap into?

Coldfusion21

I actually have an Accusump, brand spankin' new in the box, that I never used. I was going to put it on a SB Chevy project that had remote oil filters and an oil cooler. So plumbing it in would have been easy.

How difficult would it be to adapt the Accusump to the Multifuel in order to preoil it before cranking? Are there oil galleys available on the side of the block to tap into?
I would imagine you could plumb it in before the filter, but that's just a guess. I'm not sure if anyone makes an automotive style sandwich plate for these larger engines.

Another idea is looking at where the turbo oil supply comes from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks