• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pre Lube system

Shooter308

I'm currently in the process or purchasing my first deuce and have been reading everywhere on this site. Lots of talk about waiting for oil pressure to come up. I was wondering if anyone has done some sort of prelube system. Probably not necessary as it was designed without, but on larger engines I've worked on like cat 3512 natural gassers we had a prelube pump force oil around prior to start up. Just an idea, thoughts?

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know about the details to add a prelude system, but for the simplest and easiest I believe is the spin on oil filter conversion. A lot of the people on here swear by them. I had never done the conversion to mine, but was on my list before I sold it. One of the members has had the kit for sale in the classifieds. They say oil pressure reading on start up is within seconds or near instantaneous.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spin on filters are the, well, one of the best mods to do to the multi. Keep in mind, the Cat you are talking about goes from zero to 1800 in a heartbeat. If you start a multifuel powered 2.5 or 5 T and don't touch the go pedal to rev the crap out of it, the engine will be fine for longer than you will have it.

davidb56

Most of the pre lube systems require a hybrid oil drain plug with a suction line on it. My problem with that is tree branches and stumps can damage it, and Im off road often in the woods.

fleetmech

I have a full JAtonka spin on conversion set on my truck and the cold start oil pressure rise is comparable to any standard heavy duty engine. Definitely an upgrade I recommend.

interestingly (at least to me) we have a number of big gen sets at work, and none have prelube systems... 3508, 3412, 3516(x 2), some mtu heap, and my personal favorite, the 16V149 Detroit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a full JAtonka spin on conversion set on my truck and the cold start oil pressure rise is comparable to any standard heavy duty engine. Definitely an upgrade I recommend.

interestingly (at least to me) we have a number of big gen sets at work, and none have prelube systems... 3508, 3412, 3516(x 2), some mtu heap, and my personal favorite, the 16V149 Detroit.
I had to go look... That 16v149 is a MONSTER!
Wish they had a coke can in one of the piston holes - just to compare

(Insert picture from EastCoastDiesel)
Detroit-16v149.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks