• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prep for Behr Paint

michigan4x4

Tried searching and couldn't find specific answers.
What are you guys doing before you spray the Behr paint?

I have an M101a2 that was is in CARC and had some spots painted with House paint years ago. I want to give it a new paint job using Behr exterior that i plan on buying from Home depot. Thoughts on Prep? I'm not looking for a restoration quality paint job, just something that will freshen it up.

Also, I've read the stickies and there seems to be some conflicting info about what to tell the Home Depot clerk to mix up for 383 green. some say use the federal standard number, others say that late last year home depot moved to a web based system. Has anyone bought Behr from home depot recently and successfully mixed a correct 383 green?

What specific Behr paint should I use? Some have mentioned 4300, others Marquee, and still others suggest ultra premium or something along those lines.

Thanks

twisted60

Wear a dust mask you don't want to breath in CARC dust.
Above mentioned prep is all I do, clean it, rough it up and have fun.
I just had 383 green mixed a few days ago at Home Depo. The guy told me they had updated their computer system so they only have to put in Federal Code, 34094 is code I used.

tobyS

All of the above. Do you have rust? That needs something to neutralize it, I use red primer. But I've found that red primer and Behr acrylic are a bit hydroscopic, thus can rust underneath. I spray those spots with a rattle can rustoleum camo....then Behr......by any means necessary, brush, roller, spray.

I like the Behr Ultra Premium and a bit of Flotrol. I don't like the Marque for the level of hand work I do, it's like hand applying pudding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks