• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pressure wash M1008 engine compartment

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys, just picked up my M1008 from Barstow and want to get to work on things. So I've spent a couple of days searching this site for anything on decreasing and pressure washing engine compartments and I got zilch. This HAS to be done before I can do any work under the hood because there is so much fine, silty, high desert dust coating everything, (like in every nook and cranny!) that I just won't touch a thing 'till this is done... any sage advice from someone who's done this?

My main concern is; aside from the USUAL precautions taken to pressure wash around electrical and fuel/air intake, (duct tape & plastic bags) are there any REALLY CRITICAL areas or components to avoid while using water under pressure? My worse fear is to water damage something delicate and electrically-expensive.

The engine itself is hardly greasy at all in fact it is fairly clean. And we're not talking about 4000 psi here, just a garden hose type sprayer and Simple Green to knock the dust off. How safe am I doing this? All comments welcome.

Last edited:

lindyp38

I think ur answering ur own question ...about damaging critical areas......

....i havent been a fan of pressure washing modern cars with so many electrical and computer gizmos.....

I vote no.....just clean what u can safely clean......

ralbelt

I degreased and pressure washed mine taking normal precautions, using a 2400 psi with a fan spray nozzle. I did not have any issues, your results could vary.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate the comments. My trade is crane-work and I run tower cranes that are ALL electric. From past experience with moisture getting into electronics, I was hoping you all wouldn't think this TOO dumb a question. Anyway, it's always iffy spraying water AROUND elec components. And BOY--- can those 'results vary'--- drastically. All I'm hoping for from this post is to hear from a few guys who haven't had any major disasters from hosing things down under that hood... heck, there is a lot more electrics there than on my same-year gassers and I'm lookin' at it with a wary eye...

moose

Hi there everybody! My thought on the pressure washing is to cover the electrical components and air intack with ziplock bags and tape. Then go for it. I regularly do this to my 2006 f-350, dirt bikes, quads, 66 Chevelle, etc with no problems. I usually drop the intake into the simple green that way I get a foaming mix of simple green and water out of the spray nozzle, then rinse with a hose. If you really want to get crazy with it like I do, then follow this up with compressed air or a leaf blower to blow the water off and prevent water spots on your engine and frame. Cars, trucks, and motorcycles love to be clean, and they will run better when they are happy! Besides it's just so nice to have a clean engine and undercarriage to work on and look at. Have fun!

Hogg

Took the pressure washer to my M1009, havent had any problems... Just aim with care. Cant be any worse than deep nasty mud holes splattering everything under the hood...

Sardot1

I pressure washed mine last week. It was mostly dried on mud all up in the engine compartment all over just about everything. I was careful not to soak some of the electrical parts, or the air intake:roll:. But I figured for the most part it went on it wet I can get it off by getting it wet. No problem starting it up, took it down the highway for a good blow-dry.:driver: Maybe not the wisest thing to do, but now I can actually see metal and hoses under the hood. Do it at your own risk though.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all, I surely appreciate your comments. Was a bit wary of doing this but the consensus seems to bear-out that the electrics are fairly stout in these vehicles (as they should be~!) so I'll give it a shot.... clean engine is good, always... thanks again!

rnd-motorsports

No dif than driving in a heavy rain! you said you dont have a lot of greas but if you have some need to clean get some bleach white whitewall tire cleaner spray it down then spray off best degreaser you will find used it for years and leaves no residue like some degreasers :grd:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No dif than driving in a heavy rain! you said you dont have a lot of greas but if you have some need to clean get some bleach white whitewall tire cleaner spray it down then spray off best degreaser you will find used it for years and leaves no residue like some degreasers :grd:
Yep, I guess so--- Thanks bud.

But who makes that brand cleaner you're speaking of?

rnd-motorsports

Made by westleys bleche-wite tire cleaner I get it at walmart have seen it at doller store or any parts store! you will like the way it works spray let set about 2-3 mins and spray off :grd:

maynard83

When I had my M1010 serviced by a local truck service center, they Steam Cleaned the engine compartment for me with no problems. The Service Manager said he was a little apprehensive but after they did it there were no problems. Having them do it for me helped me avoid any issues that I would have to deal with afterwards, this way if something happened they would have to make it right.
Good luck to you.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made by westleys bleche-wite tire cleaner I get it at walmart have seen it at doller store or any parts store! you will like the way it works spray let set about 2-3 mins and spray off :grd:
ALRIGHT------ Westleys---- I've got some of that stuff--- thanks again bud!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I had my M1010 serviced by a local truck service center, they Steam Cleaned the engine compartment for me with no problems. The Service Manager said he was a little apprehensive but after they did it there were no problems. Having them do it for me helped me avoid any issues that I would have to deal with afterwards, this way if something happened they would have to make it right.
Good luck to you.
Thanks for the input bud, but as of today it's a done-deal but it isn't exactly pretty... just sorta' sludgy/dusty stuff still sticking to everything and any bare metal that's exposed is going to my best friend Rusty... think I'll give that Westleys a try and report back...

SALUTE~!

(yer left, yer left, yer left right left.... yer left, yer left, yer left right left...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks