• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prestolite 60Amp Alternator trouble.

Threedoor

I have an 83 M10a with the Prestolite alternator on it which o believe to be the same as the 900 series trucks.

I had a battery with two bad cells in it and lost the voltage regulator. It was overcharging. Chared parts in the regulator.
I replaced the batteries, fixed some connectivity issues. Checked ground to the alternator and it’s good. Brushes look great, no abnormal wear on the slip rings. Rectifier looks good. I Have 25V back to the field and nothing. Adjusting the pot does not bring the voltage up.

What I think I did was screwed up the position of the three wires between the rectifier and voltage regulator. I have TM 9-2920-225-34 and it does not help. As there is no diagram of the correct position for those three wires.
I took a picture of it on disassembly but think I still managed to get it wrong.

Attachments

Steelreaper80

This is a common problem with military alternators. I have had 2 failures with the exact same problem. I will not run military alternators anymore. That is the absolute first thing that I replace on any truck. I went with an AC Delco 21SI clone at 24 volts/70 amps. It was about $110 at Auto Zone. You will either need the smaller mounting bracket for the side of the engine or I just used a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder and cut my existing bracket. I then used a large bolt and spacers to fit the alternator to the modified bracket. The only other thing you will need is the proper size belt for the new alternator. I have over 50K miles on the new alternator with ZERO issues. I also swapped out the military batteries for 2 group 31 batteries. The 2 group 31 batteries have more than enough power to start the 6CTA even in cold weather. If you have a different engine which I believe you do, the concept is still the same but just look at your bracket and change to the appropriate belt. I don't have any experience with the NHC-250 motor so I am not sure what modifications bracket-wise will be needed but I hope this at least points you in the right direction.

If anyone else has more knowledge than me on the NHC-250 please chime in.

ToddJK

I can second that on the prestolite alternator. They are very prone to failure. My first deuce, the alt went out twice, second time was literally 2 months after it was rebuilt at a local alternator shop. I got an AC remy and it was by far superior to the prestolite but it did need a new bracket in which my mechanic made to fit. It does seem though, at which point, if there's a bad battery or one with a bad cell and the alternator constantly over charges, it goes to crap rather quickly. I ran the military batteries which were junk and one went out within a few months. Once I got the AC alternator, I ran two bulldozer batteries, don't remember the brand, but those were 980CCA each. That truck never had an electrical charging or starting issue again. I would just look for an alternative alternator for that prestolite and fab up a new bracket to make it fit.

Threedoor

Had o known these were failure prone I would have replaced it with a GM alt in the first place. As it is I believe I have the regulator wired incorrectly.

if anyone has a diagram of the internal wiring that’s better than the TM which does not include it that would be great. I do t really want to tear apart the one on my dumptruck to get a look at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks