• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primer over CARC

forest522

Firstly, I am new to this and hope I have not missed a thread that answers this question. After hours of 'searching' threads, I still have this question.

Given that I have removed the rust spots, prepped rough areas (sanding and if down to bare metal re-apply primer), can I then prime the entire vehicle - over the 'good CARC' and then have the vehicle painted a color other other that flat military colors.

The end product here, a compromise with my better half, is a glossy tan or OD, as seen on some current Chevy trucks and Toyota FJ models. I'd like to go flat OD, but as I mentioned, I also want her to spend time in the rig with me. Sooo, we're gonna go with a shine on this CUCV.

Again, I will be prepping and priming the vehicle, but I am unsure if I need to remove every bit of the CARC paint. Can I prime over it after it has been sanded smooth. Then off to the paint room for a few glossy coats.

Thanks for your advice and time on this. Forest522

Stalwart

No need to remove it if its well adhered. Be careful of the dust, not good for you. Sand like you would for preping any other paint, but I'd use one step coarser on the abrasive paper, CARC is pretty hard stuff 2cents . Use the primer to allow you to sand to the desired finish before paint. If you decide to do some type of wipe down with a grease remover, the CARC is REALLY resistant to the stuff, I'd more worry about your spot primed areas.

forest522

Thank you sir, yes how'd you guess, there are some spots to degrease and wipe down. In OR we have no choice at the pump - someone pumps your fuel for you. Always. They still dribble on your vehicle. Good ole social welfare jobs :evil:

Thanks for the tips, I'll start with 320 or 200 grit. And a new filter in the mask!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks