• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proud American at 1st Cav Rededication Ceremony

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I thought some of you 1st Cavalry folks might enjoy seeing some pics of the rededication of the 1st Cav Monument at the Chattahoochie Vally Veterans Center (CVVC) today here in Columbus, Georgia.

The Guest Speaker was LTG(Ret) Sam Wetzel

The monument has been there since 1968 but was just a large plaque that few folks even remembered being there. With the help of Home Depot and some contributions from folks and some labor the area has been completely re-worked and is now a beautiful place to visit and rest awhile.

Tony and I took Proud American over and parked her in front of the Center during the ceremony.

Attachments

zout

Looked like a beautiful day and lots of folks attended - thanks for posting them up and attending with Proud once again PB and Tony. You fellas rock down there.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Thanks for posting this PB............. HISTORY TRIVIA.....I got to looking at the plackard and noticed that they did not mention that the 2nd Inf Div that was assigned to Ft. Benning at that time was also incorporated in the 1st Cav. As a mater of fact there were more troops in the 2nd Inf than the 11th. The 11th did pioneer the air mobile concept however.

Remember it well as I was assigned to the 2nd Inf on the 3rd of July 1965, located on sand hill, Ft Benning.

Back to Korea (2nd Inf data found on internet)

As a result of the formation of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) at Fort Benning in 1965, the 2nd Infantry Division's stateside unit, along with 11th Air Assault Division's personnel and equipment, were merged to form a new formation, and the existing 1st Cavalry Division in Korea took on the title of the 2nd Infantry Division. Thus the division formally returned to Korea in July 1965. From 1966 onwards North Korean forces were engaging in increasing border incursions and infiltration attempts and the 2nd Infantry Division was called upon to help halt these attacks. On 2 November 1966, soldiers of the 1st Battalion, 23d Infantry Regiment were killed in an ambush by North Korean forces. In 1967 enemy attacks in the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) increased, as a result, 16 American soldiers were killed that year.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for posting this PB............. HISTORY TRIVIA.....I got to looking at the plackard and noticed that they did not mention that the 2nd Inf Div that was assigned to Ft. Benning at that time was also incorporated in the 1st Cav. As a mater of fact there were more troops in the 2nd Inf than the 11th. The 11th did pioneer the air mobile concept however.
Remember it well as I was assigned to the 2nd Inf on the 3rd of July 1965, located on sand hill, Ft Benning.
Back to Korea (2nd Inf data found on internet)
As a result of the formation of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) at Fort Benning in 1965, the 2nd Infantry Division's stateside unit, along with 11th Air Assault Division's personnel and equipment, were merged to form a new formation, and the existing 1st Cavalry Division in Korea took on the title of the 2nd Infantry Division. Thus the division formally returned to Korea in July 1965. From 1966 onwards North Korean forces were engaging in increasing border incursions and infiltration attempts and the 2nd Infantry Division was called upon to help halt these attacks. On 2 November 1966, soldiers of the 1st Battalion, 23d Infantry Regiment were killed in an ambush by North Korean forces. In 1967 enemy attacks in the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) increased, as a result, 16 American soldiers were killed that year.
Yes, the 2ID was in Korea my first tour, 1973 and was still there my last tour (#4) in 1989.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks