• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proud American Guntruck is down

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Headed for Manchester, Georgia for their Veterans Parade this morning with Tony driving Proud American and easily maintaing 50-55 MPH for about half way (20 miles or so) then she started slowing down and then just stopped. Tony cranked her up again and she went about another quarter mile chugging along then quit again.

We havd spare filters on board so we swapped the primary (which wasn't terrible...but had some crud) and went on our merry way...for about two miles...then she conked out again!!
So....we changed the secondary filter in desperation (the filter wasn't as bad as the primary)...and that didn't work...no joy.

We sent the rest of the group on to the parade so all was not lost and Tony, Babybear and I stayed with Proud to try and coach her back to life.
After about an hour of priming, praying, bleeding, fussin, cussin, and a few other things we threw in the towell and BB and I went back to the terminal to get a tractor and landoll...leaving a very heart broken Tony to stay with Proud American.

We got her back to the terminal and not much later the rest of the crew returned with all sorts of ideas but BB, Tony and I were hungry as we didn't get to eat the vittles provided at the parade AO.
We got some food and beer and called it a day.

Tony is gonna go to the terminal and try some things tomorrow to try to get Proud back up as we have the Veterans Parade here in Columbus next Saturday and she has not missed one since we started the parade a few years ago.

In nearly 5 years since I got this truck from AMGENERAL (SS member) she has NEVER been NMC!!

I sit here with my little heart broken hoping we find some simple collapsed line, pin hole or something else simple.

I'm praying we do NOT eventually find a bad injection pump as that will pretty much keep her NMC for the parade next Saturday.

Attachments

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that Proud is NMC! I agree, if there is a crew that can get her right and ready, it's ya ALL! Will keep ya in my prayers! Get her goin PB!

God bless,
Tony

3dAngus

I don't know if I hane an ip or a HH but it's yours if you need it. I'm ping my phone number now. I can have it there in 100 minutes, day or night, 24/7.

Ps. I bought this thing on a SS group buy if that means anything.
It's a hydraulic head for a deuce.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's heartbreaking to hear this but you never know when these things are a blessing in disguise. I know that "Proud" will be up and running soon regardless of the problem.

zout

The possibility of towing it through the Parade is also an option PB - just like you did with the 43 a couple years - down but not out for the count.

Something tells me Tony & Troy will have it up and running.

AMGeneral

PM sent,

What ever you need PB, my phone number is enclosed in the PM,If I need to pull an IP on one of my trucks to have the Proud ready for next weekend,it will be done.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro has a good 250 cummins on the ground I am sure he will let you use. We can slide it in Saturday morning before the parade..........

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a very big joint effort is under way i see.. all the great guys pulling for the common good of proud. i was at the compound for the transfer from brandon. that cookout weekend was great.. i didnt know it was 5 years already. times flies. i wish i were closer so i could help out. big thumbs up to your guys

Danger Ranger

I'm following this story.......sad to hear she's down PB. Looks like you will have it worked out somehow, you have the crew, and you have the friends. Git 'r' dun!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

Tony just sent me a text...Proud American is up and MC again!!

He (Tony) went to the terminal this morning and basically went thru all the checks/procedures again that he did yesterday and she just refused to cooperate.

So, he says he started all over again priming the filters etc., etc., and showed one of the drivers how to crank her while he gave her a short "snort" of eyther. I guess she showed some signs of life and after a repeat treatment she roared back to life!!:naner:

Tony says he drove her around a bit and she's back to her old powerful self and ready for duty next Saturday.:-D

Now...for the problem. Absolutely no clue.
Was it a blessing in disguise as recovery4X4 said and thereby warding off worse events? Could be.
Was it a piece of trash caught in the injector supply pump? Maybe...and maybe the eyther hepled clear it...who knows.

I'll tell ya this...Tony is gonna get something really nice for Christmas this year!!:not worthy:

Thanks for all the comments and especially to AMG for offering to canabalize one of your engines.:beer
:

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Just makes me think of the many articles I've read about deteriorating lines allowing air in the fuel lines. Many of these causes were in the fuel tank at the fuel pump connections, where the fuel tank was half full or less, exposing the internal lines to air and sucking up air, causing irregular fuel supplies to the injectors.
(Of course, I'm about as bright as a burned out light bulb when it comes to these things)
I'm sure you had a full tank before departing Columbus though. Congratulations to you and Tony for a job well done. Perseverance often pays.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
best news of the day .. glad its all worked out.. this type of things shows who your friends are.. those that want to.. and those that can and/or those that did come to the rescue.Tony is the man

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks