Pulling her home

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Presuming the brakes work, another 5ton with air lines connected would be adequate to tow it. If the brakes are INOP, you're going to have a hard time finding something heavy enough to stop it with any semblance of a safety margin.

You want a real towbar for this also. Milspec adjustable medium towbar at a minimum.

I'm reckless and stupid, and I wouldn't consider it with anything less than a 5ton and a real towbar.

Devoid of the proper equipment, I'd advocate checking with heavy wrecker operations and seeing what they'd charge to move it.

Edit - looks like an M52A2. Weighs about 22k. The NDTs are suspected Maypops, especially at extended hwy speeds. You want to have good control of it if you lose a tire. I wouldn't really be enthusiastic about moving it at speeds >40mph. Just how far do you need to move it?

Last edited:
Its in VA im in SC ive had this tuck owner hold it for me and i need to get it out of his yard. I was gonna rent a 26 ft uhaul, the tow bar is out of the question for me. Its too expensive for a one time use tool.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this. If you shop around and are patient, you may find an empty hotshot or dropdeck moving through the area. If you can find $3.00 a loaded mile, I'd take it. Back story. Back around 94-95 I bought an M54A2C on a GSA sale. No bed, kinda like yours. Determination and shallow pockets pushed me to drive it (try anyways) 40 miles. The truck had sat 10 years. As it turns out, it caught fire half way. Be careful, don't take others safety for granted.

Mobile homes hometongues are rated for 20,000 pounds of dead weight I'm a welder on top of that I was going to reinforce it anyway nobodys safety is going to be compromised.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you want a quote on hauling it just send me the origin zip and Destination zip. You can just stay at home and off the roads.

Elijah95

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its in VA im in SC ive had this tuck owner hold it for me and i need to get it out of his yard. I was gonna rent a 26 ft uhaul, the tow bar is out of the question for me. Its too expensive for a one time use tool.
I’m going to be what may be considered very negative, but it needs to be said.

“...Too expensive for a one time use tool.” That statement is incorrect, in fact if you’re going to log any real road usage with MV’s having a tow bar with applicable feet, safety chains, light jumpers if applicable etc isn’t mandatory but VERY useful in self recovery, assisted recovery, and assisting others. As stated above, if you plan on traveling any real accumulative mileage, it’s going to pay for itself easily over time. And if not? Sell it, a good medium bar can frequently be had with the proper feet for that truck for less than $250
I understand being on a tight budget, but if you want to talk expensive, try rigging a bar or something “homemade” and not NHTSA approved/rated or commercially produced by a company and have an accident; whether it’s your fault or not, you’ll be in a lawsuit you’ll never win.

I’m not sure if you’re new to the hobby, if so welcome aboard! It’s important to note our hobby is always under attack of people with the thought process of “big scary green assault truck shouldn’t be on any road”, and every accident whether product of negligence, lack of maintenance, or completely no fault of the operator runs the risk of the law makers running wild with new regulation in which we do not need.

With that said, please be extremely careful with your endeavors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towbar with appropriate feet should be about $350-$450 and will sell for that when you're done with it.

I'm also a welder. 5G Pipe cert and all. You won't see me using a mobile home drawbar as a towbar.

I don't think a 26ft uhaul is heavy enough to adequately brake it. Uhaul is typically designed for a lot of volume but not a lot of weight (household moves). Does it weigh 30k ?

You may find someone near you with a 5ton and the appropriate equipment and talk them into it for reasonable.

Simp's offer is well worth considering. He's a good guy and highly competent.

Edit - another thing about the uhaul truck is the hitches are mounted much lower than the MV's. This is going to change the geometry and put the towbar/drawbar at a steep downward angle. This probably won't affect pulling it, certainly will affect braking, and likely will affect tracking during steering.

I see this as a bad idea. The potential for badness is fairly high, and the magnitude of the potential badness is off the scale.

I've done thousands of miles of flat towing MVs. I would not consider doing it this way.

Last edited:
I towed a deuce with a deuce. 40 miles , correct tow bar and chains. No air lines. Took the backroads. Stressfull. But worth the 800$ truck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....I don't think a 26ft uhaul is heavy enough to adequately brake it. Uhaul is typically designed for a lot of volume but not a lot of weight (household moves). Does it weigh 30k ?...
Nope, 25,999 gvw, 7,500 max allowable tow, plus a huge overhang in the rear. I would bet the first turn will jackknife it.

Towbar with appropriate feet should be about $350-$450 and will sell for that when you're done with it.

I'm also a welder. 5G Pipe cert and all. You won't see me using a mobile home drawbar as a towbar.

I don't think a 26ft uhaul is heavy enough to adequately brake it. Uhaul is typically designed for a lot of volume but not a lot of weight (household moves). Does it weigh 30k ?

You may find someone near you with a 5ton and the appropriate equipment and talk them into it for reasonable.

Simp's offer is well worth considering. He's a good guy and highly competent.

Edit - another thing about the uhaul truck is the hitches are mounted much lower than the MV's. This is going to change the geometry and put the towbar/drawbar at a steep downward angle. This probably won't affect pulling it, certainly will affect braking, and likely will affect tracking during steering.

I see this as a bad idea. The potential for badness is fairly high, and the magnitude of the potential badness is off the scale.

I've done thousands of miles of flat towing MVs. I would not consider doing it this way.

I will take your warning.

I’m going to be what may be considered very negative, but it needs to be said.

“...Too expensive for a one time use tool.” That statement is incorrect, in fact if you’re going to log any real road usage with MV’s having a tow bar with applicable feet, safety chains, light jumpers if applicable etc isn’t mandatory but VERY useful in self recovery, assisted recovery, and assisting others. As stated above, if you plan on traveling any real accumulative mileage, it’s going to pay for itself easily over time. And if not? Sell it, a good medium bar can frequently be had with the proper feet for that truck for less than $250
I understand being on a tight budget, but if you want to talk expensive, try rigging a bar or something “homemade” and not NHTSA approved/rated or commercially produced by a company and have an accident; whether it’s your fault or not, you’ll be in a lawsuit you’ll never win.

I’m not sure if you’re new to the hobby, if so welcome aboard! It’s important to note our hobby is always under attack of people with the thought process of “big scary green assault truck shouldn’t be on any road”, and every accident whether product of negligence, lack of maintenance, or completely no fault of the operator runs the risk of the law makers running wild with new regulation in which we do not need.

With that said, please be extremely careful with your endeavors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very sensible comment, I just dont know any other way. I dont own a semi with a lowboy and cant pay 5000 for someone to bring it to me 6.5 hours away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks