• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling off steering wheel

Gunzy

1st, I did read the TM. With that said here is my question. Can a 939 series steering wheel be pulled with out the special tools and not cause any damage? If so what is the trick? The one in my M923 is in pretty bad shape but the one in my M932 parts truck is a very nice one. Also, does anyone have the turn signal canceling cam that connects to the back of the steering wheel?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You need a military steering wheel puller to do it properly and not cause damage. To make a self cancelling blinker you need to get the hmmwv version which has self cancelling capability. It will plug into your harness electrically they are the same. You will need to put machine screws on the back of the wheel hub to make it self cancel. It is not hard to do.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a mock up that works or the real steering wheel puller so that I can fab a copy?

Thanks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They are widely available online I believe several of the resellers that advertise on this forum have them for sale. I see you are in NY, I am in CT if you are close to my you can borrow mine or swap you wheel here.
Will

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info and for the offer, however you are 200+ from me so I shall not be popping by to borrow!

goldneagle

Thanks for the info and for the offer, however you are 200+ from me so I shall not be popping by to borrow!
There are several shipping services that can transport the tool back and forth. UPS, FEDEX, USPS. I don't think he required you to pick up in person.

Here is something I ran into last night. I am sure it came from this site.View attachment steering wheel puller.pdf

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried a standard large size 3-leg heavy puller on my steering wheel. Had it soaked before in WD 40 for days, hitting the top of the puller under pressure to make vibrations, hit the steering wheel from below rather hard, chipped parts of the plastic from the steering wheel underside (to the outside of the metal for the bearing), left it under tension for several hours, in the end cracked several parts of the steering wheel, ..... nic, nada, no dice. The @#$#@%@% steering wheel does not get free from the shaft. :-? :mad:

Now what? Any solutions apart from breaking the steering wheel completely?

FYI, that steering wheel was broken in some places already, but not just in the center. And I tried to get it off to check if moving the shaft outwards would help improve power steering problems.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, but in the Czech Republic its a bit difficult to get a US military steering wheel puller. Regardless if I damage the steering wheel, a non-military puller gives also enough power but it still does not come off.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that this should do the trick as well.

DSC_0026_resize.jpg

This is actually the first thing that I have really trouble with getting it off. For the rest (touch wood) all nuts and bolts came free relatively easy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those wheel pullers sure are nice when you need them. They still struggle a bit with some wheels.

Gunzy

I only need to use it twice and I would rather borrow one than pay near $100 to use twice. I guess I'll see if Boyce has one I could use or rent cheap.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only need to use it twice and I would rather borrow one than pay near $100 to use twice. I guess I'll see if Boyce has one I could use or rent cheap.
You think you'll use it twice, mine has been used alot and it's been borrowed alot more than I thought it ever would.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With this official puller, somebody ever experienced that you destroyed the steering wheel and still the thing did not come loose? On the underside of the wheel, close to the jacket, you can see some shiny metal. For me, it looks like that is part of the bearings, so I try avoid hitting that or pulling on it. So the tool grips either more to the outside of the underside, just besides the spooks, or gripping on the spooks close to the center of the steering wheel. In both situations, the wheel starts to crack.

dmetalmiki

I warmed mine slowly and (very) carefully with a butane hand held torch a long time and with the extractor pulling and it popped off finaly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks