• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

purchasing advice on old radio.

Blueduce

I found this old signal corps radio at an estate sale here in TX. I'm just wondering if anyone has any info or can offer any suggestions on the set. I dug around some and couldn't find much. It says Radio Receiver BC-358-L

They where asking $200 for it but had no clue if it even worked. Is it worth the asking price and would someone be able to fix it.

wsucougarx

From my understanding many of the older radios had tubes. The tubes aren't the issue, its finding them and being able afford them can be an issue.

Blueduce

That's what I was wondering. There where a few old tubes in a box in front of the radio (reference pick) but I have no clue if there still good or if there even for this set.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Folks that set up diaramas or do reenactments/living history events might be interested.

I'd lowball them and see if they bite.....usually the last day of an estate sale is when the bargains are (much like Sunday morning at the GA Rally).

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a BC-348. In my opinion its a good radio if it hasent been hacked up to bad. These were a favorite among hams after ww2, so there is an abundance of info on them. You can get manuals online for free. 200.00 isnt too bad for a fully working set that is original. Unknown is hard to judge as it depends on what is missing. I like mine, its a -Q model which has the brodcast band.

BC-348 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen nice ones that worked go for $200 and even less. I'd offer $75, and see what happens. Wear your helmet because you might have pots and pans headed your way.

They are neat, lots of hams are into the WWII stuff. The tubes are easy to find, if you get it and need help, I can point you in the right direction.

The BC-348 was used in all sorts of aircraft and vehicular installations in WWII. Over 100,000 were produced, so it's pretty common.

More details here:

BC-348 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kf4hoq

If you're much into tinkering with electronics, figure out the power connector and build one that contains the ability to vary the current. Start at the lowest setting and work your way up over the course of a few days. That will help keep thost old capacitors and pots from blowing up.

Blueduce

Thanks fellas, I haven't heard from the estate sale yet. I offered $50 if it didn't sell. From what you guys are saying the Dr. Frankenstein rebirth shouldn't be to bad or overly expensive. I was originally looking for a transceiver for my Deuce. This may not be the one for that application but sounds like a fun rebuild. It was dirty from sitting in his garage for the last several decades but the exterior didn't seem to be hacked up or altered. I should have an answer by tomorrow.

Wile E. Coyote

There are tons and tons of those things out there...three a week on Ebay on average...and $200 is on the high side by a fair chunk for a set of unknown completeness or working condition.

Blueduce

Thanks for all the help fellas. It's now Monday evening and no call from the estate sale telling me to pick up my radio. All I can assume is that someone else felt it was worth more than my $50 bid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks