• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

push or pull the fuel

jag7720

Is it better to push or pull the fuel through the filter

e.g lift pump sits between the filter and the IP pulling through the filter and pushing to the IP
or
the lift pump sits between the tank and the filter pushing to the filter and IP

Barrman

Factory is pump, filter, IP. That also keeps any pieces of the lift pump from getting into the IP if it decides to die on you.

A sealed up system won't really care either way. Just when you have air leaks and the stock filter is know to leak air, so keeping it pressurized is probably a good idea.

Stalwart

As stated above either will work if there are no leaks AT ALL! Pushing is better, air being a smaller molecule, will always find it easier to leak in under vacuum than fuel under boost pump pressure. This is why most new vehicles have the boost pump in the tank, that and cooling of the pump motor.

1986Blazerk5

Is it better to push or pull the fuel through the filter

e.g lift pump sits between the filter and the IP pulling through the filter and pushing to the IP
or
the lift pump sits between the tank and the filter pushing to the filter and IP
It is better to push, the reason they moved the fuel pump back by the tank is so on a hot day you don't get air bubbles in your fuel after you park. I don't know if this is true on a diesel but on a old gas engine with a mechanical fuel pump this was a problem.

jimmy-90

Most fuel pumps are designed to push fuel and probly work better that way. I wound up having to make the lift pump on my truck pull fuel through the filter since I am useing a racor spin on. I was originally going to hook it up to push the fuel but the teck-line guy at racor said that if I did that it would cause the watter seperator to not work right. I had to cut the fuel lines and splice in rubber fuel hose to do that. It's worked good every since. If your lift pump is weak or worn you would probly have to crank the starter for a while to get it to start though.

mudguppy

in a truly closed system it doesn't matter until the demand is such that enough vacuum is created to vaporize the fuel. this isn't going to realistically happen with diesel fuel and standard lift pumps.

that said, for reliability it is better to push fuel as mentioned above: cracks and pinholes in the fuel system are more likely to wreak havoc in a system with a 'puller' pump; 'pusher' systems tend to keep air out better.

but if the compromises in the fuel system are bad enough it will affect either style.

Bill W

Depends on the filter your using
Racor and Dahl Turbine filters can go either way but work better if you pull the fuel through them ( suction ) as far as cartridge or spin on filters go, pushing is better for all the above reasons stated

Asgar

I added a large spin on Racor 90P filter to my M1008 and installed it between the tank and lift pump. The filter body and bowl will accept a bunch of different cartiges, small / med / large and also 30 micron / 10 micron / 2 micron. The reason for this location was that the filter would also protect the lift pump from debries in this position. I put a vacuum gage on the filter as well to monitor the degree of clogging the filter had, new it was 0" HG, fully clogged it would be 7-10" Hg. The idea was to change out the filter when I got to about 5" Hg on the gage. What I found is that it was more of an effort to drain crud and water out of the bottom of the filter when installed this way. You would have to shut the engine off, open the bottom filter drain, get the crud out, close the drain, then bleed out the air through the bleeder on the stock filter in the normal way. This is because as soon as you opened up the drain air would be sucked in by the lift pump. I then moved the filter so it was after the lift pump and before the stock filter and Injector pump. In this position I can just open up the drain when the engine is running and all the crud is forced out from the bottom of the filter under lift pump fuel pressure. There is no need to bleed anything in this case a 15 second job. The other reason that I like the filter here is that the fuel is under pressure when forced through the filter which should be better at low temps. When the filter is before the lift pump you can only suck until you draw a vacuum.

I also installed the racor heater kit for this filter which helps when it is very cold out. I can say the filter seperated out lots of water very well when installed in either location, see pic of the bowl.

In all the large marine diesel engines I have worked on the large Racor turbine type filter (20 micron pre-filter and water seperator) is always installed between the tank and the lift pump. The secondary cartriage filters (2 micron) are installed between the lift pump and the injector pump. I am mentioning this because the turbine type filters work well on the suction side and protect the lift pump as well when set up this way. In effect this is the better set up but as I mentioned above, less convienent.

I found that using a piece of clear tygon fuel tubing for the short piece of hose on top of the injector pump going to the return line allow you to see any bubbles going through the system. This has helped rule out fuel issues when troubleshooting on the road. The piece in the picture is about 5 years old.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks