• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pushing an M146

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The latest 146 coming into our compound ended up sitting on the side of the road. True, it was the dirt road in front of the compound, and true, it never gets used by anyone but us (it ends do to disuse just past compound) but it still was a drag. I pulled the trailer here in early Jan. The prob was that I was pulling w/ a dolly and now it needed to be backed to the other side of the property and into it's slot. Not something I wanted to try for the first time, not much room for mistakes.

After checking w/ some locals I found no one that had a single rear axled tractor. One guy was going to move his 5th wheel and charge me one of my limbs, . . . I said no.

Finely I got tied of camping on the side of the road. That's right, I'm camping in it while I build my real live-in trailer.
I thought about it loads and decided I could prob move it w/ the dolly if I pushed it.

This is how it went.

Took off on a Sat morning, early enough that we still had shade on the west side of his shop, so that he could torch out a hole on my front bumper.

14-06-07 (1).jpg 14-06-07 (2).jpg

After that he drilled out th mounting holes. Easier at his shop w/ power tools then w/ my batt powered drill.
Final look,

P6171273.jpg

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Later that afternoon (when it was no longer in the triple digits) I went to pushing.

First was lining up the dolly, . . . no prob.

14-06-07 (3).jpg 14-06-07 (4).jpg

Then came the plan,

14-06-07 (5).jpg

I only had to do two 90deg turns, run it between rows of trailers on either side, and then turn it sharp to my blind side :)

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would REENFORCE the front bumper with a 3/4" plate from frame to frame because as massive as the truck is, the front bumper WILL bend very easy, it is easier to reinforce the bumper then to replace it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start w/ a 90deg out onto main dirt

14-06-07 (7).jpg

As soon as I'm out and taking up most of the road a car comes. I back it up untill I'm lined up straight and let the car pass aua

14-06-07 (9).jpg

Now back into the compound, through the trailer gauntlet

14-06-07 (18).jpg 14-06-07 (22).jpg 14-06-07 (23).jpg

By now I was getting the feel of it. It was a little odd being that the trailer was wider and from where I sat I couldn't see down the side. Did help having outside eyes.

The push into it's slot was a bit challenging, had to get the back end where I wanted then move it back and forth a few times to move the front over w/o changing it's placement all together.

14-06-07 (30).jpg 14-06-07 (40).jpg 14-06-07 (46).jpg

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would REENFORCE the front bumper with a 3/4" plate from frame to frame because as massive as the truck is, the front bumper WILL bend very easy, it is easier to reinforce the bumper then to replace it.
I'm w/ you on that! I did look at how the rear had been double plated and will be adding to the front. Right now that one's going to come back off and go back where it belongs ;)

quickfarms

I'm w/ you on that! I did look at how the rear had been double plated and will be adding to the front. Right now that one's going to come back off and go back where it belongs ;)
A flat plate is relatively weak. It would be better add a horizontal reinforcement on the top and bottom of the plate. The angle braces used on the rear will be hard to duplicate due to the radiator.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One trick when pushing or backing a dolly is to use two chains to lock out one of the pivot points.
Nice! What would you hook to on the front? Seems like the shackles are to close in.
Like if you're locking out the dolly truck pivot That would make it almost like having a tractor :)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A flat plate is relatively weak. It would be better add a horizontal reinforcement on the top and bottom of the plate. The angle braces used on the rear will be hard to duplicate due to the radiator.
More like channel? Maybe that tied into the bumper mounts? Will have to look at the front again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks