• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting my M998 back to a M1025

camoyj7

Last winter I bought a 2010 VSE rebuilt Hmmwv to make a nice driver. I was just planning to do a 4 door soft top with x-doors but that's when everything went wrong. I decided that I had to have a turret. Almost everything else I've had in the last few years has had one (M931a2, M923a2) so why stop now. I acquired N.O.S. Roof, sponsons, Hatch and most everything else. I'm using all factory hardware through out. So much for a budget! It's been going to together kind of slow but should be done this winter. I feel pretty lucky and I'm sure this was or had a slant back on it before. Every bolt to install the pieces was drilled and had plastic caps in it's place. Even the tailgate has the holes in it. Well here is some of the progress.

Attachments

camoyj7

Some more picture's. It's getting a ECV front nose, Special forces bumper, Vic-3 radio set, New high back seats front and rear and all LED lights.

Attachments

Last edited:

parklandtrans

Outstanding work my friend...!! I'll definitely be calling on some of your expertise when I start to install my slant back on my M998A1...one of these days. Did you slowly collect all the small parts...ex: bolts, brackets, etc etc or a buy a ready to bolt on kit...that's usually missing a lot of items..lol..anyway, awesome work my friend..!!
-Bob

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good...hey,...looks like if you put the swiss cheese mount up on top...you won't be able to get the truck out of the garage .
Also...get rid of those fender soft top brackets.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh...I forgot....Send that front bumper this way...youuuuuu donnntttt neeeed iiiittt.
obi-wan.jpg

Action

If you are putting your m998 BACK TO an m1025, then it isn't a m998. Did you mean you are turning your m998 into an m1025?
I don't know what those holes are in the tailgate. There would only be 3 footman loops on the softtop.
I am inpressed you have the black plastic pieces between the fenders and sponsons.
As 86humv said, loose the fender brackets that are for the troop cover.
It looks nice.
5 MWO tags.
And, I am confused by the "2010 VSE". It looks like an old 1980's m998.

Last edited:

camoyj7

If you are putting your m998 BACK TO an m1025, then it isn't a m998. Did you mean you are turning your m998 into an m1025?
I don't know what those holes are in the tailgate. There would only be 3 footman loops on the softtop.
I am inpressed you have the black plastic pieces between the fenders and sponsons.
As 86humv said, loose the fender brackets that are for the troop cover.
It looks nice.
5 MWO tags.
And, I am confused by the "2010 VSE". It looks like an old 1980's m998.

VSE is the contractor who did the rebuilds. The holes in the tailgate I was talking about were for the straps found on most M1025's. (see picture) I'm pretty sure they retagged it to a M998 during the rebuild. We got a total of three of these and everyone of them was drilled for a slant back, every hole was there. You can see in the last picture the holes for the black plastic pieces between the fenders and sponsons are there too. They all had brand new vin tags. I have no way to prove it 100% it was a M1025 but I'm pretty sure. I've never seen another soft top drilled for a slant back, let alone three from the same rebuilder.

Attachments

Last edited:

chickenbutt

Your build looks awesome!
I don't even want to know how much went into all those parts. Most of it is extremely hard to find as take off, let alone NOS.
Great job!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your build looks awesome!
I don't even want to know how much went into all those parts. Most of it is extremely hard to find as take off, let alone NOS.
Great job!
Agreed. Inquiring minds still want to know how to locate all that NOS hardware for the install. Good work camoyj7!

Action

ah, yeah, i forgot about the straps on the tailgate. those were for the camo nets.
I think the original slantbacks should have various small holes in the bed and fender tops for all the mounting brackets.
I always liked the turtle backs.

camoyj7

I think the original slantbacks should have various small holes in the bed and fender tops for all the mounting brackets.
I always liked the turtle backs.[/QUOTE]

It's got all of those too! If you look close it still has the plugs in from the rebuild. I've got all the brackets for the M2HB .50.

Attachments

camoyj7

Swapping out all of my springs today. 12338316-3in the rear and 12338316-2 in the fronts. Wanted to use the Variable rate rears but didn't want to change out lower control arms. You can see difference in springs variable on left stock on right.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks