• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Q about M818 to M35 bed swap

Yohan

Hi all,

I know this question is kind of subjective, but I like the looks of the M35 bed on the M818 5 ton WITH the super-single tires. So, how "difficult" is it to make the swap? Let's say I have the equipment to lift the 5th wheel off and lower the M35 bed on... are there clearance issues with the new bed and tires, lots of fabrication to mate the bed to the frame, relocation of a lot of components (wiring, air lines, etc)? Does the bed have to be raised up to accomodate the travel of the tires over terrain?

I'm wondering if there are any major issues that have to be addressed during the project. Thanks for any help...

John

Yohan

Thank you, ranchhopper! I spoke with a gentleman this afternoon who said it's a pretty easy job. He didn't mention the fuel lines, though. I don't have a 5 ton, so will have to see the fuel line lay-out you metion for myself when I get one. Thanks for the info!:-D

John

Yohan

Very nice! You cut the front of the bed vs the rear, didn't you? About how long did the job take? I'm hoping my my ship comes in this week that will get me into a five ton... We'll see.

cessnatwin

Actually I did not do it! The man who did is very good at it! I just got it Friday, and yes he did cut the front. Just thought you might like to see it!

cessnatwin

P.S. John is a fantastic man, and I cannot wait to one day meet him, and to anyone looking to buy a 5 ton, he is honest as the day is long! Great Guy!

Yohan

I've seen an M818 with bumperetts and mud flaps. I wonder if the bed would still be cut if one added the bumperetts? I like the slightly longer look of the M35 bed on the 5 ton (with the bumperetts).

EDIT* I think I figured out that the nice gentleman I spoke to on the phone yesterday was in fact, ranchhopper (I'm pretty sure!).

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
John is a great guy. Have gotten 2 trucks from him and we are still good friends, that speaks alot in this hobby!! He is there for any questions I have. John and Ranchopper are the Picaso's of 5 ton bobbers!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks