• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quad 50 Gun Trucks

historyfanatics

I am attempting to replicate a Quad 50 gun truck from Viet Nam. Originally, I was planning to use an M809-series 5-ton as I have been unable to find an M39-series 5-ton. However, I have learned that none of the M809-series trucks made it to Viet Nam. And, they would appear too late in the war. So, I am using an M35-series truck.

My question is one of details. I am able to find all kinds of photos which show the names of the trucks or the business end of the guns. However, I am unable to find any photos showing details, such as the armored doors and windshields, or even detail shots of the Quad 50 mount.

Also, since I am having to scratchuild the mount, does anybody have any ideas that would help me out? Original mounts are simply too expensive for me right now.

I am hoping to get the truck completed in time to go to the Gun Truck reunion in August 2009.

Thanks,
Robert

www.historyfanatics.net

vtdeucedriver

The quad 50 were mostly mounted on the 2 1/2 ton M35 trucks so you are useing the right truck.

For a Trans unit "YES" the M35 was the chassis used. They were early stages of development in the GUN TRUCK CONCEPT. NANCY being one of the most well known trucks.

There were a couple of M54's that had the quad in 8th GP (Yellow Noses)t. If I remember right, they were other trans units that had them but not nearly as many as your foreward fire bases!!! During the monsoon seasons, those trailers were a bear to negotiate through the mud to move the turret. So they mounted them in 5 ton trucks and would park the truck and gun on the perimiter as needed.

Some where packed, I have a disk with a bunch of IFF unit trucks with the quad mount but since you want to to go to PF in 2009, I am assuming you want a trans unit.

I am sure that driver523 (AKA Larry) or I can scare up something.

jasonjc

On a side note my dad drove/used a half-track with the qaud 50's to patrol the air field fence line during the Koean war. He was a MP in the army/air force.

historyfanatics

I have access to a M55 Multiple Gun Carriage and would be happy to help you out. Take a look here for an image of the trailer.

~Robert
I like the set up. I have photos showing that mount in the back of the trucks. But, all the photos only show the artwork or a general view.

Since I am essentially scratch-building a quad mount, would it be possible to get some dimensions from you? Such as height of the sides, overall width, diameter of the turntable, and anything else you think might be relevant.

Essentially, I am trying to replicate (for lack of a better word) a gun truck that was used on Rt 13, aka Thunder Road. The only info I have is that this truck operated in the area, and was temporarily assigned to the 1st Infantry Division. I suspect it was an anti-aircraft battery on temporary assignment.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Robert
www.historyfanatics.net

Driver523

Robert--My name is Larry Fiandt and I'm the organizer of the Gathering (the reunion you spoke of) we'd love to have you attend the Gathering in Augest and everyone else that would like to---the reason for this post is about the armor on the quad trucks, it was more or less the same as the "box" type gun trucks, armor in the window channel and another hung at an angle on the outside of the door---some of the trucks had armor on the bedside below the depressed angle of the guns and some on the rear, then as I'm sure you have seen four smaller sheets on the Maxon power turret "quad mounts" to protect the loaders, it seems that most this armor is the same as what was used on other trucks with the two x two holes around the edges and the door armor also being the same sheet we used on our doors---Hope this helps even just a bit---and good luck to you along with a big THANK YOU for helping preserve our history----Driver

halftrack

Robert--My name is Larry Fiandt and I'm the organizer of the Gathering (the reunion you spoke of) we'd love to have you attend the Gathering in Augest and everyone else that would like to---the reason for this post is about the armor on the quad trucks, it was more or less the same as the "box" type gun trucks, armor in the window channel and another hung at an angle on the outside of the door---some of the trucks had armor on the bedside below the depressed angle of the guns and some on the rear, then as I'm sure you have seen four smaller sheets on the Maxon power turret "quad mounts" to protect the loaders, it seems that most this armor is the same as what was used on other trucks with the two x two holes around the edges and the door armor also being the same sheet we used on our doors---Hope this helps even just a bit---and good luck to you along with a big THANK YOU for helping preserve our history----Driver
Driver, what were the exact dimensions of the sheet armor used on guntrucks. The ones with the ports in them. It looks like the Nancy Guntruck had the pre-made sheets with the slant cut going right across the ports. How thick was the plate? Was it welded on the side of the bed or bolted on? How did the plate go on the door? is it too welded or bolted? close pictures of your door would be much appreciated. That must be a lot of weight for the doors. Did y'all remove the glass windows from the doors also? Please forgive me for all the petty questions. Just trying to be as historically correct as possibel. I have been putting off this project for several months and reading your guntruck posts has motivated me.

Driver523

Jason--Send me a email subject Nancy that way I'll know I have your email--I can't remember if I still have it or not--I'll then send you the measurments you'll need---Ron Smith that has the Black Widow replica just seen your post here and wanted me to let you know he will have the Black Widow at the battleship Alabama April 4th and 5th, all that armor is the same size and you'll be able to first hand see how to attach the door armor, now I see that on the model thats out there it looks like the outside armor is flat to the door--ours was at an angle--I don't know which way it was on Nancy but I will find out--really glad to hear from you again----I will help all I can, don't hesitate to ask any questions----talk to ya then---Larry Fiandt----Driver Driver523rd@aol.com

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Larry....as you can see this Guntruck thing is catching on strong.
It's guys like you and Ugly that make it happen.
If the word continues to get out then some of the finest combat troops in the world will never be forgotten.

Keep up the fire with your Guntruck thread and folks will continue to support the effort.

Larry

Driver523

K---How about a Quad stoy?---The Eve Of Destruction was built by Steve C, and shortly there after there was a E-6 that kept bugging Steve to let him go with them on convoy, finally Steve says ok--but listen--your an E-6 and I'm an E-5--but on this truck I'm in command and if you give me any crap I'll throw you over the side--the E-6 says ok--off they go to Ankhe--the trip went smooth so on the way back the E-6 says to the driver--hey--you want some relief?--you been in the seat all day--the driver says sure--so just at the bottom of Ankhe pass they swaped--now this guy has never been in the seat of a gun truck, and he was only there for 5 minutes when a RPG hits his door, legs are shot up and the Eve goes flying off the road, they come to a stop in a ditch in front of a culvert, Steve is yelling at this cat to get this thing outta the ditch and get going, he didn't know how bad the guys legs were--Steve looks up and out of this culvert come what looks like a million VC and they think they got themselves a gun truck, now steve and the crew are doing all they can but it ain't looking so good for them, and then Steve hears something--he looks up and there is Bounty Hunter moveing into position, Steve don't know where he came from but he's sure glad to see em-----Bounty Hunter opens up and works the ditch between the Eve and that culvert---nuff said---But ole Steve sure likes them Quads----Bounty Hunter and Nancy below-----enjoy-----------------------------Driver

Attachments

tree207

I was a light wheeled vehicle mechanic with E/41st Quads at An Khe 69-70

There were also specialized turret mechanics for the Quads and Dusters at the Motor Pool.

The plate armor was field fabricated from 1/2 inch deck plate preferably, the plate from any source found. The Battalion level motor pool of the 4/60 Arty (Dusters) to which Btry E/41 was attached had welders and a welding shop van. There was a trade off between plate weight and ammo carrying capacity

When we switched from 21/2's to 5 ton trucks. many of the already fabricated truck beds were taken off the M35's andput onto the M54's (?) as the bed sizes where the same. On the 5 tons we liked to lower the tailgate to level and boxed the space gained with deckplate as the 5ton could haul more weight (more ammo stowage) The Battery and Battalion decided to switch the beds because I was the one who while hot and exhausted was leaning over a dual tire of the old gun truck in the shade looking at the frame which was backlit because of how the sun was reflecting off some corrugated sheeting and noticed that the beds of the truck were bolted to the frames in the same manner on both sizes.

The Battery XO and the Motor Pool Warrant Officer were musing how to fabricate the plating on the new beds as I was noticing this. I asked permission to speak and proceeded to point out what I had observed. They literally slapped themselves.
We measured the Beds, same size and configuration at the mounting points. We used the crane of the Battalion Wrecker/Recovery vehicle to lift the Quads off the old trucks and to switch beds.

Many of the trucks were painted in the motor pool via running a spray gun off the trucks own air compressor. The paint was olive drab stretched with black as there was a shortage of Olive Drab. The guntruck crews would design their own paint designs for the mounts and would often have the trucks detailed in Vietnameses shops.

often the cab floors would be lined with sandbags as also the bed. The trucks had a general resemblance but they were armor plated individually in the field to a common but not rigid design.

The armor plate served two purposes, as shielding and as a barrier to keep the Quads M2's from firing into the truck the barrel deflection being stopped by the plate.

A military radio was usually installed under the passenger seat in the cab.

For a vast treasure trove of information contact the' National Dusters Quads Searchlights Association' includes vulcans and any ADA unit members deployed to Vietnam but not restrictive.

The Association historian Paul Kopsick has been diligent through the years in locating and obtaining official and private records, photos, recordings, of the units.

There are also many members who would be happy to assist you so that a piece of their history can live on.

And please remember, I am remembering in general about long ago so I may be not right about some of this and practices were different at other places and at different times.

Wealso had many ghost vehicles and I have absolutely no idea how the serial numbers were the same.

historyfanatics

Thanks to everybody for the help on this project. Also thankks to tree207 for the heads up about the National Dusters Quads Searchlights Association. I will certainly check them out.

I am hoping to make the Gun Truck rally this year, although I won't have my project finished by then. If I do, I don't know if I can drive it that far. It's about 900 miles one way from where I live in Texas. Sure would like to go, though.

Sorry for the late reposting. I have had other projects get in the way. I hope to get this one back on track as soon as possible.

Robert
History Fanatics - February 2007 - The officers (seated) and enlisted men of Company K on board the Battleship TEXAS in La Porte, Texas.  In addition, three sailors have joined the group.  The photo is taken on the starboard side (right side) of th

historyfanatics

Robert--My name is Larry Fiandt and I'm the organizer of the Gathering (the reunion you spoke of) we'd love to have you attend the Gathering in Augest and everyone else that would like to...

Driver, where can I get some more information on the Gathering? I can't promise to make it due to the new job. But, I can try.

Also, I would like to post some information about it on my website.

Thanks,
Robert
www.historyfanatics.net

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks