• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about base security for loadout

F18hornetM

On those bases that say "call and request a sponser" will GL be your sponser? Or does the base handle this themselves? I have only been to Meade so far and didnt require a sponser there to load out. Some of the other sites I looked at have this in the security info. Cherry point being the one I just noticed.

F18hornetM

Well found out the answer to my own question.
In case anybody else was wondering. GL will be your sponser [at least at Cherry point MCAS]. I pretty much thought they would but who wants to go there un-prepared?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have your Drivers License for each passenger. And "current"insurance verification and vehicle registration for your vehicle. Ask me how I know....:whistle:

Don't assume that your license is in your wallet. Open it up and check...

Last edited:

tbearatkin

Make sure you have your Drivers License for each passenger. And "current"insurance verification and vehicle registration for your vehicle. Ask me how I know....:whistle:

Don't assume your insurance card in your card is up to date either CHECK IT. I work on a base the biggest violator of this are the commercial vehicles where the business did not follow up to make sure it was in there. I can't count how many times I have gone to the gate to meet a vendor only to have security turn them away because of this. Then the vendor looks at me like I am going to help them. What do they want from me they are the ones driving around without proof of insurance and Security will NOT let you on base without an up to date card and your I-phone app showing proof does not work either on our base they want that paper copy.

F18hornetM

All good advice. When we went to Ft Meade to get the 813, I told my friends at the tow Company to make sure of everything. Even sent them a list of what was required. They put everything together in a little bag, all needed info for the tractor and trailer. Everything went off without a hitch. So yeah, I like to plan ahead.

F18hornetM

Is there anything to see at Cherry point? Like museum etc? I was in the Marines but never made it there. If I'm going just as well enjoy the scenery.

KsM715

And if you carry, or even might have forgotten about a hand gun or 2 under the seat, make sure you DO NOT have them with you. Its no fun when your inline and realize you have to turn around before you get to the gate for a search. Do not bother to ask me how I know. :whistle:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if you carry, or even might have forgotten about a hand gun or 2 under the seat, make sure you DO NOT have them with you. Its no fun when your inline and realize you have to turn around before you get to the gate for a search. Do not bother to ask me how I know. :whistle:

Sorry but I have to ask, how do you know?

This should be common sense, yet there are folks who think they are special. Don't be that special somebody and mess with base security. I'm sure most of their day is boring and they just might need a little excitement.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anything to see at Cherry point? Like museum etc? I was in the Marines but never made it there. If I'm going just as well enjoy the scenery.
Last time I was at Cherry Point (sometime in 2005) was for a very specific reason: a mishap investigation where i had the privelage of using and breaking their turbine engine test cell...long story, very embarassing. Any way, things to see: if you find you want some piece of uniform that you just have to have, i.e. shooting badge, good conduct medal, jump wings, etc; go to the uniform store. it's very good. Museums??? I think there is one but ask the gate guard or at the visitor center; they'll be able to give you an immediate answer. If you do not have a military ID, get permission to deviate from the route to GL. CP is a high security base, no sense of humor.

I only made it their once during my tour in the Marine Corps and I never left the flight line. Not much to see there. Have a great trip, hope all works out well.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine. Semper Fi, Marine!

Jeff

F18hornetM

Jeffhuey1n, thanks for info.
Nope no longer have military ID, couldnt even find the old one [way to long ago].
My son and I always like to look at stuff of course. Planes, trucks, ships, tanks etc. So when we go somewhere we always look around to see whats open to the public. Legally of course [thumbzup].

Semper Fi

KsM715

Sorry but I have to ask, how do you know?

This should be common sense, yet there are folks who think they are special. Don't be that special somebody and mess with base security. I'm sure most of their day is boring and they just might need a little excitement.

Sometime when you carry its real easy to forget you have it on when you decide to cut across the Post rather than drive all the way around.

I work as an electrician and often do work in both Manhattan Ks and Junction City Ks during the same day. Ft Riley separates these towns and its a rather nice drive through the post rather than take the interstate around. I have caught myself heading for the gate only to realize just before I get there that I can not drive onto the post with what I have.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometime when you carry its real easy to forget you have it on when you decide to cut across the Post rather than drive all the way around.

I work as an electrician and often do work in both Manhattan Ks and Junction City Ks during the same day. Ft Riley separates these towns and its a rather nice drive through the post rather than take the interstate around. I have caught myself heading for the gate only to realize just before I get there that I can not drive onto the post with what I have.
That's not so bad. Not like you were headed there for a loadout and you picked your favorite shootin' iron just for the trip.

ptrjason

I would say it also depends on the bases. I have been on Camp Pendleton to apply for a job with a buddy of mine. We were both in suits and looking the part. Got to main gate. MPs never asked for ID or checked vehicle or papers. Just told them we were there to apply for Civy MP, and he (enlisted MP) looks at us like we were crazy, pretty much the look on his face was like shoot me now, I hate being and MP. He laughed and said you didnt hear me say anything, and let us on.

When we left, we went the back way out of Camp P, through the Fallbrook Naval Weapons Center, which we didnt know it was that road, but my GPS said it was the fastest route home. Hit the Navy cops Gate at the border line between the bases in an area where it military only anyway.

They pretty much said same thing, but told us if we wanted to pass, we needed to run 3 miles and do 50 push-ups. He then just said if we stay on the road we would be fine, get off and we would be lost.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an interesting local news article posted on the net today.

Gate Access Procedures on Fort Drum Changing Jan. 15

December 17, 2014
News Release

FORT DRUM, N.Y.
The process for individuals who are non-DoD ID card holders seeking entrance to military installations is changing across the Department of Defense, and changes will begin here at Fort Drum on Jan. 15, 2015.

Details will be released to the local media on Thursday, Dec. 18.

Check back for updates.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not GL but the guard at the gate in Blanding did not want to let us in because Iron Planet had no address on the invoice. Just said Stark and we spoke to IP man so don't know if he will say something to them but Iron Planet might have to address this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks