• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on Column Locks on M880 series trucks

This might seem like a bone-headed question, but I'll ask anyway. Isn't the ignition switch on the column supposed to lock the shift lever and the steering wheel on the M880s Power Wagons when the key is removed from the lock? Unless I missed it, no mention is made of this in the -10 or -20 TM. I'm working on a non start issue with my M882 (it doesn't start with the key, but it starts and runs well if one bridges the two connectors on the fender well starter relay) and I just happened to notice one day that I could move the shift lever to any gear even though the column lock was set to the off position and the key was removed. The steering wheel didn't seem to be locked either.

Now I happen to have as one of my hobby cars a 1974 Dodge Coronet 4-door car and it has the same Corporate column lock set up as my M882 and the shifter cannot be moved if the lock is in the off position and the key is removed. The steering wheel is locked in place too. I have had quite a few Chrysler product cars over the years and they all seem to do the same thing. Did Chrysler do it differently for the military Power Wagon or is there some other problem that I need to fix on the column of my M882 too?

michigandon

Mine is like that as well. I was wondering about that myself.

My Mom had a '78 Coronet when I was a kid growing up! Wish I had that car today. :(

MattL

I have no idea if my truck is the way Mopar intended or not, but my key does not lock the column or shifter.

My case from the electrical side is very weird as my turn signals and everything work with the switch off and key out! I have to use a battery cutoff so it doesn't drain.

On your no start issue, it sounds like you have an 'open' in the start wire from the switch to the solenoid...

MattL

Also, if your truck is rotted out (bad cab mounts or?), double-check that the shifter is actually hitting the Nuetral Safety switch correctly. I think that might have the same symptom...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks