• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on deuce tires?

i hope to start cutting some nice oak tops if gentleman lets me . My question is the path in the cutover is red Clay what is the easiest way to anvigate through my tires are worn down not much tread can i put a chian though both rearsand tighten with a boltto help the Clay is very slippery thank you for any info Kenneth

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the chains will work...what do I know, there's no mud here :shock:

DanMartin

I have a buddy with a sloped plot of land that is all red clay...he has a tracked excavator and gets stuck on that stuff all the time. He ends up using the bucket to pull himself up the hill because the tracks just slide on that stuff.

I think Chains and/or some winching will work. Also maybe wait for a dry day?

JohnnyReb

Chains will move you..... Problem will be the direction.

Red clay (over here we call it GA clay) is very slick and if you have any sideways ground (and being in NC, you will) that front end is going downhill. May have to chain the front and engage the front axle. Another way we do it is to cut some ruts for the front end to follow. Lastly, a tractor, steering with the rear brakes, can pull the front end in the direction you want to go while the drive rears provide power. Truck driver and tractor driver really need to know what they are doing.

I have been in clay so slick that a person could not stand up on sideways ground!

Because of wet red clay, we would shut down the logging operations in November and go back to the yard to saw and stack lumber and do maintenance work on the equipment.

What are you going to do with the red oak?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks