• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on Modifying Military VHF Antennas

Mutt Hunter

Gents,

I have a VRC-83 ground to air set-up for my MUTT. I used to carry the PRC-113 and do ground to air stuff, so putting the vehicle variant in my MUTT was an easy choice. However, finding a military dual band antenna has been impossible up to this point. The radio operates from 116 to 150 MHz VHF; and 225 to 400 Mhz UHF.

Here's my question: Since the SINCGARS family operated at 30-88 MHz in a spread spectrum, freq hopping way...can the AS-3900 antenna be shortened to accommodate the higher freqs of the VRC-83 listed above?

Clearly, i'm not calling in MEDEVAC, jumpers, or precision fires, i'm trying to impress chicks who like to listen to commercial aircraft and the occasional military ones flying into/out of MacDill AFB while i'm parked at some VFW or AM Legion bar.

So, can that antenna be shortened without impacting receive function at a higher freq? I've done the math and i know that the antenna needs to be 63.5 inches at 3/4 wave to have optimum performance in the middle of the 116-150 MHz range.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can answer that question...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks