• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question re: Half Shaft install

Austin T

Hello all, I'm new here. I'm 19 and wanting to fix this with my dad. Was wondering if somebody out there knew how to fix an issue I'm having. I have an M1151A1 sitting in my driveway with no brakes and the half shaft is in the socket but it's not bolted up. Here is my issue: The half shaft won't clear where the brake rotor should be even with the rotor off. It just hits and won't go up any further. I've tried compressing and bending the end of it, even that didn't work. Needs about a half inch more clearance to fit. Any pointers? Thank you.20230217_153810.jpg20230217_153749.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using the correct half shaft?

Where did you get it?

Is it 10k or 12k halfshaft?

Austin T

Are you using the correct half shaft?

Where did you get it?

Is it 10k or 12k halfshaft?

Not sure which one it is, but it came with the vehicle from the salvage auction. It came from the marine corp base in south GA. It was disconnected from where the it bolts to the diff. So we bought a new rotor but can't get it and the axle in place. Need 1/4-1/2" more room to fit it into place. Can't find anything online for how to get it in place.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is the correct half shaft then you cannot install it from underneath the flange, you have to position it in front of or behind the flange and as high as you can get it before trying to get it in place, if that makes any sense, the shaft will not compress enough to go straight up with it.

Austin T

Thanks for the tip Mogman, will give it a try.

Thumper - It was missing a rotor on the side the half-shaft was disconnected. The right rear rotor is solid. The one I bought for the left rear is vented. (I thought i ordered solid, but is vented.) I'm guessing they would be the same diameter as the solid, but it easy enough to check.

Thumper580

Thanks for the tip Mogman, will give it a try.

Thumper - It was missing a rotor on the side the half-shaft was disconnected. The right rear rotor is solid. The one I bought for the left rear is vented. (I thought i ordered solid, but is vented.) I'm guessing they would be the same diameter as the solid, but it easy enough to check.
Vented...non vented definitely makes a difference...... My 1123 has 12" vented and it's a different half shaft

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am correct the OP was saying the half shaft was still attached to the hub where someone just went in and stripped the brakes off of one side so the half shaft should be the correct one although he needs to inspect it carefully for damage to the boots as it has been flopping around, and as you said he got the wrong disc.
But he should be able to get the shaft in place without the disc.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be frustrating installing a half shaft until you figure out how to rotate the CV flange in front of or behind the differential flange.

Austin T

It can be frustrating installing a half shaft until you figure out how to rotate the CV flange in front of or behind the differential flange.

Frustrating to say least. You are correct in that the half shaft was hanging down when we bought it from govplanet, so its the correct shaft.

I just tried it again and I just don't see how this will fit. The vented rotor appears to be the same thickness as the solid. Rotor aside, would it provide more room or clearance for the half shaft by compressing the thick coil spring. It seems like if it could be compressed as though it were sitting on the tire and not hanging that it would cause the half shaft to be pulled outward giving more room.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not have the CV joint compressed, it will not go together like that, you have to push that shaft to one side or the other so you can line up the CV flange and compress it down the shaft and keep it compressed while installing it, it will never go together as shown in the 3rd picture.
No need to try and bolt it together before getting the correct disc.
EDIT, see how compressed the boot is on the installed shaft? it needs to look like that before trying to install it.

Austin T

You do not have the CV joint compressed, it will not go together like that, you have to push that shaft to one side or the other so you can line up the CV flange and compress it down the shaft and keep it compressed while installing it, it will never go together as shown in the 3rd picture.
No need to try and bolt it together before getting the correct disc.
EDIT, see how compressed the boot is on the installed shaft? it needs to look like that before trying to install it.

Roger that. I'll order the correct rotor disc. No special tools needed to compress the cv joint? Ok to have the wheel hub hanging uncompressed? THank you for the tips. Its been like this in the driveway for months and want to get it moving.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hanging hub is what you want, do not compress the suspension, it only makes the problem worse.
Have you looked up the correct parts you need in the free to download TMs?
it will save you time and money.

Thumper580

Roger that. I'll order the correct rotor disc. No special tools needed to compress the cv joint? Ok to have the wheel hub hanging uncompressed? THank you for the tips. Its been like this in the driveway for months and want to get it moving.
You need to push the half shaft straight down on itself to compress it. Then slip the flange end onto the rotor. I'm not sure but there maybe a difference between the opening diameter on the rotor flange and the half shaft depending on whether it's a 12" vented or non vented rotor. Get the same kind as the other three.

Austin T

Hanging hub is what you want, do not compress the suspension, it only makes the problem worse.
Have you looked up the correct parts you need in the free to download TMs?
it will save you time and money.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the correct rotor for the M115, should have it by Feb 23rd. I'll post an update once it comes in and give it another try compressing the cv.

Thumper580

You need to push the half shaft straight down on itself to compress it. Then slip the flange end onto the rotor. I'm not sure but there maybe a difference between the opening diameter on the rotor flange and the half shaft depending on whether it's a 12" vented or non vented rotor. Get the same kind as the other three.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I remember somehwere that the clearence opened up as the truck suspension compresses.. Its almost opposite of what logical thinking would indicate.. So, maybe install shaft with wheels on ground.. Been so long since Ive had to do one 🙄

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently had to repair one of my front half shafts. and i did it all without lifting the truck. Did not have any issues accommodating in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks