• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about bobbed M35 in CA

x01660

I am brand new to this site and I have a few questions specifically about "Bobbed" M35A2's

1. Do I need to have a CDL (A or B) to drive a bobbed deuce in CA? I have read tons of info on the legality of driving them, but all of the info seems to be geared towards unmodified M35's (read: 3 axles).

2. How difficult is it to get Historical Plates?

3. Do most insurers (AAA, Geico, and Progressive to be specific) insure bobbed M35's?

4. Given the vehicle I will be getting will be from 100dollarman (so in really good condition), I should not need much other than regular wear and tear parts. Where can I get them? Stuff like brake shoes, oil and air filters, etc...

5. I don't want to do too much modification, but I want to be able to drive the truck on the freeway and do about 55-60 MPH. Is this possible with a bobbed M35?

6. Given I will just be driving this thing around town (with little off roading), how reliable are they? What are the maintainence intervals and what not? I mean, I know diesel is expensive, but that is not of concern to me. Just want to know if driven normally (on road) if they are prone to problems.

7. How are these trucks (in bobbed form) in the sand? I would be driving it in places like Pismo Beach, but mostly out in the Mojave National Preserve and Death Valley.

8. If anyone has put a stereo in theirs, how did you go about it?

9. If I get historical plates, can I still drive the truck around as a daily driver? I won't be hauling anything (other than groceries) as I live in Santa Barbara (read: suburbia) and not out in the sticks. I just don't want trouble with the law. They already know me from my 1 dB under illegal convertible Z/28 that I hot rod around town... :twisted:

I know these are a lot of questions, but I have been looking for the info and can't find definitive answers.

Again, all of this is for a bobbed M35, so it only will have two axles. I appreciate all of the help. Thanks.

x01660

P.S.: 100dollarman, I have been ogling your website all day, and I just want to say bravo! When I get some time, I'm gonna drive out there and check out your yard if you don't mind. Keep up the great work!!!

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5. I don't want to do too much modification, but I want to be able to drive the truck on the freeway and do about 65-70 MPH. Is this possible with a bobbed M35?
Please don't take too much offense, but this statement makes me hope you either do alot more research first or simply don't buy a deuce.

These trucks are not made to be driven or stopped in such a manner that 70 on a freeway should even be a thought. You'll end up killing someone.

x01660

Please don't take too much offense, but this statement makes me hope you either do alot more research first or simply don't buy a deuce.

These trucks are not made to be driven or stopped in such a manner that 70 on a freeway should even be a thought. You'll end up killing someone.
That is a valid statement. I read somewhere on here that they could do 65 bobbed and that the stopping power would be increased as it was lighter. But now that you mention it, you are right. 55 in the slow lane it is. Thank you.
And you are right. I would not be in the market for a deuce for another year or so. I did my research on Z/28's for 2 years before I got mine. I like to be REALLY familiar with all of the little quirks that vehicles have before I buy them. So I WILL be doing a TON of research between now and then.

x01660

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've answered the one's I know.

1. Do I need to have a CDL (A or B) to drive a bobbed deuce in CA? I have read tons of info on the legality of driving them, but all of the info seems to be geared towards unmodified M35's (read: 3 axles).
No CDL would be required on a bobbed Deuce in CA. The 3 axles is the main issue with needing one, unless registered as an RV (M109 or shelter box). This could change at any time, the State Govt is our penance for the great weather.

2. How difficult is it to get Historical Plates?
Pretty easy as long as the truck is old enough

4. Given the vehicle I will be getting will be from 100dollarman (so in really good condition), I should not need much other than regular wear and tear parts. Where can I get them? Stuff like brake shoes, oil and air filters, etc...
Erik's Military Is a great source and is in So.Cal, so you get it fast. Saturn Surplus is also handy.

6. Given I will just be driving this thing around town (with little off roading), how reliable are they? What are the maintainence intervals and what not? I mean, I know diesel is expensive, but that is not of concern to me. Just want to know if driven normally (on road) if they are prone to problems.
They are old trucks, so they need maintainance. Just read the TM's and follow the schedules and check the truck before driving (yes a visual check of the truck should be done prior to driving each day) This is why I would never consider it as a daily driver.

8. If anyone has put a stereo in theirs, how did you go about it?
Just need a 24V to 12V converter, then you can hook up the stereo

9. If I get historical plates, can I still drive the truck around as a daily driver? I won't be hauling anything (other than groceries) as I live in Santa Barbara (read: suburbia) and not out in the sticks. I just don't want trouble with the law. They already know me from my 1 dB under illegal convertible Z/28 that I hot rod around town... :twisted:
Historical plates technically restrict you to parades, club meetings, and test drives.

Last edited:

x01660

Thank you SOOO much!! This should be a sticky!! (wishful thinking :grin:)

Great info here. Thanks for the quick response, Bad_Carp!! I really appreciate it!

x01660

x01660

I also have another question about speed:

I know its not safe to drive them over 55. Thats fine and all, seeing as I can drive the freeway at 55.

HOWEVER

I also read that these trucks do not like high RPM's (in this case I am talking about an LDT-465 1C "whistler"). Since I won't be hauling anything, would it be possible to re-gear the differential to a taller gear so that my OD (5th) gear cruising speed would be at a lower RPM? Again, I am not towing, acceleration is not an issue for me (if I wanna go fast, I'll drive me Camaro), but I want to be able to drive the truck the 200 miles out to the desert to have fun. I also read something about some kind of device that "adds" gears, similar to the hi and low on a semi (shift 6 gears, press a button, shift another 6 gears, etc).

I am new to trucks (been a speed demon all my life, but I LOVE these trucks. Drove them back when I was at West Point, along with the LMTV's and HMMWV's. Love the M35's the best), so please excuse the seemingly n00bish questions. Thanks a ton!!

x01660

mckeeranger

I also read that these trucks do not like high RPM's (in this case I am talking about an LDT-465 1C "whistler"). Since I won't be hauling anything, would it be possible to re-gear the differential to a taller gear so that my OD (5th) gear cruising speed would be at a lower RPM? Again, I am not towing, acceleration is not an issue for me (if I wanna go fast, I'll drive me Camaro), but I want to be able to drive the truck the 200 miles out to the desert to have fun. I also read something about some kind of device that "adds" gears, similar to the hi and low on a semi (shift 6 gears, press a button, shift another 6 gears, etc).
This is not a re-gear for the differentials, but a re-gear for the transmission:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-.../14728-overdrive-gears-available-soon-19.html

shannondeese

I drive my Deuce every day in San Diego traffic when I am home. I drive on the free way between 55 and 60 MPH no more. Everyone either goes around me or sits on my bumper. My truck is bobbed and I put 395's on modded HEMMT wheels. I leave my house early enough to do a walk around on the truck before I start it, let it warm up and then once I get to work I still have enough time to let it sit to cool off. So is it practical as a daily driver, for me yes. It took two weeks before the gate guards stopped me and asked if I was driving a Govt truck every day or was it mine. It doesn't take long to adjust to driving a Deuce, you just have to think ahead and be ready for other drivers that can't see you. Believe me they are out there. Good Luck with your purchase.

KsM715

You must remember that if you mod it to go faster you also need to adress the brakes as well. Like most with bobbed trucks you'll end up with some larger tires, that in itself will help increase the top speed but also add more rotational mass that will be alot harder for the stock brakes to slow down.

Contact 100dollarman, He's in CA and builds and sells bobbed trucks (You probably already knew that) I bet he can answer every one of your questions reguarding speed/tires/license/registration/ and driving in the sand.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/100dollarman.html
http://www.100dollarman.com/

Last edited:

Rustygears

Just because the truck is lighter does not mean it will stop 'better'. By removing an axle, you also removed one third of the brake capacity. Also please read the postings on this site regarding the A2 having only a single circuit brake system. With all the mass of a deuce and their age, I'd be wary of using a stock brake A2 on the freeway as a daily driver. Single circuit brakes were banned for autos in the early 60's for the same safety considerations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks