• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick Blackout circuit question.

Hey fellas, quick question about the blackout light system.

I was demonstrating it for someone the other night and realized I could not get my front markers to turn on. My headlight and tail lights come on fine but could not get my B/O front markers to illuminate. The next day I opened the housings to take a look and the bulbs looked fine, nevertheless I swapped them out with no success. I checked the wires coming into the housings with my test light but got nothing from either side.

Now I don't intend on using my blackout lights in any practical capacity in the near future but I do like to keep everything in functioning condition. Before I rip my dash apart, could I have a faulty switch? I didn't think so since my rear markers were working fine but now I am assuming they are on a different circuit.

I was thinking of upgrading to the new style switch anyway.

-GM

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The BO markers on the front and rear are (edit: NOT) the same circuit coming out of the 3 lever switch. 20 is front and 24 is rear

Last edited:

Gunzy

I don't recommend the new electronic switch unless you are converting ALL of your lighting to LED as the incondesent lighting draws a lot more current than the LEDs do and people have had the electronic switches burn/catch fire when operating incondesent lighting. If you have another switch available plug it in and retest your lighting. Had the oppisite problem on an M998, blakouts but nothing else. A replacement switch got all the lights working.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pushbutton LED switches are nice until they short out and start an electrical fire, regardless of LED or incandescent bulbs.

This turned out to be a bad ground on both left and right sides, I had forgotten to completely tighten the light enclosure mounting bolts when I reinstalled them after paint. They became excessively loose and I started losing lights until I saw what I had done :roll: Thanks everyone for the info!
-GM

dmetalmiki

Glad you solved the problem I like to have everything working that is original. And spent many a day cleaning connections and earths.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks