• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P. - Mort Walker - BEETLE BAILEY Cartoonist (1Lt, US Army)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. Mort Walker, the cartoonist who drew the BEETLE BAILEY comic has passed away at age 94.

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-mort-walker-20180128-story.html
'Beetle Bailey' cartoonist Mort Walker dies at 94

It is a very well written article.

Although not directly an MV enthusiast Mr. Walker indeed served as a "Morale Officers" of sorts to our military service members and veterans through the antics of his character Beetle Bailey. In as much as Bob Hope entertained the troops with his USO Shows, Mort Walker improved morale via the daily comics. Thus, we remember Mort Walker as an Honorary MV Enthusiast.

He often depicted Jeeps, Trucks, and Tanks in his humorous portrayals of military life and shenanigans. He mocked in a most care-filled manner every rank from private through NCO's, even the cooks, Chaplain and iconic General Halftrack. He even made Sarge's profane tirades against Beetle socially acceptable in the morning paper by the use of "@#$%!^&*($@" expressions instead of vulgarities that other media has degenerated toward openly using.

Thank you for the laughs, Mr. Walker. Rest at ease, Sir.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks