• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ran out of fuel ):

RAYZER

well i ran da deuce out of fuel today, first time for doing that!So My wife and I jumped in da deuce today headed over to a friend's house, i knew i was low on juice cause the guage said E, but it was only a 1/2 mile to the store and what could possibly go wrong? needless to say that we only made it half way,and ran out just after bragging to my wife on how good the truck was running after a 300 mile trip over the weekend burning wmo and gas! Well, walked back to the house to get a gas can and my f250,got some diesel,put it in, turned on main switch,opened the petcock on top rail of sec filters,and nothing! checked fuel pump,making noise! took the main fuel line off from the top of the pump where i exspected fuel to come squirting out of and still nothing? (no pump, no prime) what now? pulled the deuce home, (with my wife driving the f250), pulled the fuel pump and found all these parts in the bottom of the tank! put it all back together, peening the bottom plate sides with a center punch so it won't fall apart again and Presto! one better than new working fuel pump!

[thumbzup]

Attachments

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmm. I'm really looking forward to this kind of stuff. If it's not one thing....

Nice work. How did you know which of the 6 conceivable reassembly sequeces of the 3 pieces was correct...on thinking fuirther, probably only two, as the end piece is fairly obvious even to a newcomer like me.

bs

RAYZER

notice that there are two bottom cap pieces? only one goes back on,same thing must have happened before at some point, the other pieces stack up and there are about 5 of them, i have found that all of the old technology used on these trucks is simple to figure out and they are easy to work on.

Ray

Varyag

mine does the same thing Scott. Reads to 1/2 then drops to 1/8th when it gets that low.

You are pretty lucky to find all the parts. Running WMO has turned my tank into a oil sewer.... it is totally not transparent, at all.

T

televisionman007

Well Rayzer sonnys was good. ERven though u smelled like a diesel pump LOL LOL Anyways we will pull my pump and center punch it so it dosent come apart. Besides i need to regasket the pump housing anyways. By the way Ray when u left sonnys 2 old guys were pointing at you and talking. Did not hear what they said but im sure it was good.Anyways dont forget the ar10 as i have rounds for my fal. Later dude and hi brenda.:beer:

dc3coyote

I always check the fuel level in the tank itself. It does not matter how far I am going its just become part of my pretrip inspection.
That said my Grandpa used to say, there are three things you can never trust
1. lawyers
2. politicians
3. gas gauges

rhinob

Assuming the pump didn't fall apart at the exact moment you ran out of fuel, is it safe to say that you were probably siphoning fuel with the injection pump successfully as long as you had a prime and the pickup was submerged? Really intriguing. Thoughts?

stevegr

Sorry to hear that happened to you Ray! It was good that you weren't far from home. I'll make sure to check the pump on my M109A3. What percentage of WMO and gas did you run this past weekend?
Greg :beer:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why there is a place on the driver side running board for a jerry can...:wink:

I've learned to keep a full one with me at all times. You never can trust the gauge...

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked in my fuel tank the other day through the fill hole and saw that plate that looks like the number 9. what does that "number 9 looking" plate even do? it looks like a design of a centrifugal pump looking part, but the pickup is on the bottom. when i bought my deuce, it looks like the pump was replaced because it looks new and new paint around it. Im wondering if the origonal pump came apart too and they just replaced it without looking in the bottom of the tank for the old parts. I did not check my fuel pressure with the engine off and just the pump running, but it seems pretty good. I believe it should be around 5psi if i am not mistaken. Now i almost want to pull my pump out and give it a look over just because. I remember reading in the TMs somewhere where they specify the exact length of the pump to the bottom of the tank to ensure that the pickup goes all the way to the bottom.

As for not trusting the gauge, mine works pretty good, but i have never ran out of fuel, so when it gets down near a quarter tank, i get nervous and carry a jerry can just incase! :beer:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Assuming the pump didn't fall apart at the exact moment you ran out of fuel, is it safe to say that you were probably siphoning fuel with the injection pump successfully as long as you had a prime and the pickup was submerged? Really intriguing. Thoughts?
The IP will pull fuel and allow the vehicle to run. This typically manifests itself as an engine that takes longer to start, especially if it's been sitting.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The depth of the pump actually leaves between five and ten gallons in the tank, if on level ground. Some people have lowered the pump a bit, but have a greater likelihood of picking up trash/water from the bottom of the tank. YMMV.

stump

If the guage is not reading at the lower fuel in the tank try to clean the sending unit. I soak them in muritiac acid for cleaning bricks. Just soak for two minutes then rinse with fuel and put it back in the tank. Dont scrub it or wipe it at all just soak it. The sending units are very easy bo break if you try to rub them with anything.

RAYZER

Sorry to hear that happened to you Ray! It was good that you weren't far from home. I'll make sure to check the pump on my M109A3. What percentage of WMO and gas did you run this past weekend?
all filtered of course,15 gal wmo, 4 gal of some old 2 cycle boat gas, 15gal of 5 year old diesel, 5 gal of reg pump gas, 10 gal of pump diesel and some tranny fluid! but not necessarly in that order, the truck ran great pulling a 105 trailor back from Jax.
:driver:

Attachments

RAYZER

I looked in my fuel tank the other day through the fill hole and saw that plate that looks like the number 9. what does that "number 9 looking" plate even do? it looks like a design of a centrifugal pump looking part, but the pickup is on the bottom. when i bought my deuce, it looks like the pump was replaced because it looks new and new paint around it. Im wondering if the origonal pump came apart too and they just replaced it without looking in the bottom of the tank for the old parts. I did not check my fuel pressure with the engine off and just the pump running, but it seems pretty good. I believe it should be around 5psi if i am not mistaken. Now i almost want to pull my pump out and give it a look over just because. I remember reading in the TMs somewhere where they specify the exact length of the pump to the bottom of the tank to ensure that the pickup goes all the way to the bottom.

As for not trusting the gauge, mine works pretty good, but i have never ran out of fuel, so when it gets down near a quarter tank, i get nervous and carry a jerry can just incase! :beer:
my guage seems to work good also, it read E and i ran out! i did have my jerry can with me but forgot the spout at home.
:???:

stevegr

Nice looking trailers Ray. Looks like televisionman007's pulling one too. He must have been able to fix/replace his starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks