• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ran your 7 Ton out of fuel?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MAdams,

No, I have not registered or titled it yet. I am still waiting for the SF-97. I bought and paid for mine in June 2019 but GP has never sent the SF-97 so I can register it. I requested it a long time ago but I guess there were several mix ups with the SF-97 processing so I am still waiting. I call GP every couple of days and they say I just need to wait although the last couple of weeks they said they will send it soon. I did get an email just today that said that I will get a FedEx from them tomorrow so maybe that will be my SF-97.

BTW, I did go to the Utah DMV to talk to them about what I could do if the government never sends it and they told me that there is nothing I can do, I must have the SF-97. They did tell me that they have registered these trucks before and so I expect no issues.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MAdams,

Well, I did finally get my SF-97 and it is a nice looking document. I have received SF-97s for other vehicles and I like the look of the document, They did a nice job on it - very fancy. I made a color copy of mine and I think I will frame it.

So, I went to the Utah DMV to register my 7 Ton as an on road vehicle and it almost worked. I got a new gal that was not aware of the special things needed for these trucks but it still worked out OK. The only issue was emissions.

They had no problem registering it as a personal vehicle. No problem using it on the road, even though in small print it said that the government sold it as off road only. No problem with paying the taxes, I mean they accepted the CA taxes as paid so I did not need to pay taxes again. It cost me about $300 and that was a little but high because I needed to get a 2 week temp tag because they wanted me to get emissions tested. I showed them their own web site, Utah DMV, and how my truck was listed as an exception. I did not need emissions. BUT, they pushed back and said that their web site meant federal government owned military trucks. I countered by saying the the federal government does not register their trucks in Utah and so that made no sense. The exception was for private owned military trucks. Anyway, I lost and they told me to contact the county to get a letter that would grant me an exception for emissions testing. So I am going to try to get an exception from the county. If I can, then I never need an emissions test on my truck. In the mean time, I will also try to get an emission test done but I am afraid it will not pass because there is no emissions sticker on the truck plus this truck will not be in their computer so how could a place test it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MAdams,

Well, I did finally get my SF-97 and it is a nice looking document. I have received SF-97s for other vehicles and I like the look of the document, They did a nice job on it - very fancy. I made a color copy of mine and I think I will frame it.

So, I went to the Utah DMV to register my 7 Ton as an on road vehicle and it almost worked. I got a new gal that was not aware of the special things needed for these trucks but it still worked out OK. The only issue was emissions.

They had no problem registering it as a personal vehicle. No problem using it on the road, even though in small print it said that the government sold it as off road only. No problem with paying the taxes, I mean they accepted the CA taxes as paid so I did not need to pay taxes again. It cost me about $300 and that was a little but high because I needed to get a 2 week temp tag because they wanted me to get emissions tested. I showed them their own web site, Utah DMV, and how my truck was listed as an exception. I did not need emissions. BUT, they pushed back and said that their web site meant federal government owned military trucks. I countered by saying the the federal government does not register their trucks in Utah and so that made no sense. The exception was for private owned military trucks. Anyway, I lost and they told me to contact the county to get a letter that would grant me an exception for emissions testing. So I am going to try to get an exception from the county. If I can, then I never need an emissions test on my truck. In the mean time, I will also try to get an emission test done but I am afraid it will not pass because there is no emissions sticker on the truck plus this truck will not be in their computer so how could a place test it.
The SF-97 for your MTVR was marked for OFF-ROAD USE ONLY???

MAdams

My sf97 isn't marked off road only, but stupid CA wants over $2k to title. What a joke

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My sf97 isn't marked off road only, but stupid CA wants over $2k to title. What a joke

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply. I was referring to this in JonM934's thread: "even though in small print it said that the government sold it as off road only."

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clarify, I am not sure if my SF-97 was marked off road only but I received documents from the Marines that said the vehicle was for off road only. I can check my SF-97 tonight.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My SF-97 did not have any notation about on-road or off road use. The documents from the US Marine Corp did say for off road use but I think that is because they will not certify that the trucks will pass emissions. Here is the SF-97 I received for my truck and some of the unique information is obscured.

Another interesting thing is that the SF-97 clearly states the GVWR as 62,200 but they let me register it as a GVWR of 28,300 and that saved me some money. I asked them what was the least weight I could register it as and that is the number they came up with.

SF-97for7Ton.jpg

Jon

DirtyDirk

FOLLOWING THIS THREAD CLOSELY JON... i just got my SF97 and am headed to salt lake to register. let me know what comes of the emissions or what your county rep says

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DirtyDirk,

My truck is still in the shop for Safety and Emissions. They found a few things that need to be fixed before it will pass safety. Most I knew about.

I keep asking them about the emissions and I tell them to do it first but it seems like they are not doing the emissions. I pray that it passes because in my mind it should not.

BTW, in Utah there are only like 5 counties that require the emissions to register the vehicle. Most of the counties are up North around SLC. If you could register your truck in some other county, then the emissions is not required. I spoke to a man in the SL County Air Quality department and he was nice and we talked about the truck a few times but in the end he found a law that said emissions was required for these trucks (in the 5 counties).

The Safety inspection is not required to register the vehicle but it is required to drive the vehicle. So at any time, the Police or more correctly, the Highway Patrol, can pull you over and ask for your safety papers.

I hope I can get my truck back today or tomorrow. The shop complains that they have trouble finding parts for it. I took it to a Medium/Heavy truck dealer so it is a dealer shop. Maybe that was a mistake. Next time I will try an independent shop.

Jon

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bailed on CA and registered my truck in MT. $440 and I did it all through the mail
WHAT!!!! How did you do that? And why didn't you tell ME! :)

I could have saved a ton of time if I could register in another state. Did you register commercial? If you register as a personal vehicle then I think you need a MT address.

Jon

DirtyDirk

MAdams... can Jon an I rent rooms in your MT house? I started a company in Utah to own the truck...because Colorado passed a law barring registration on month after I purchased mine

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my truck back from the dealer and it cost me almost $2000 but it passed emissions and safety. So now I need to pass my CDL and I will be set.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks