• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Random maintenance tip - crud at the bottom of the pop-out cab air vent

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spent half an hour trying to fish the door opening limiter rod out of the hollow area where the pop-out cab vent sits. I was surprised how much crud and leaves and general dirt collects in there.

Open the vent, grab the spring from the outside and gently push it down and in to unhook it, so the vent door opens further. Loosen crud at the bottom of the hollow space with a screwdriver and shopvac it out until you can see the drain hole in the bottom - that could save that cab corner from rusting through from the inside!

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spent half an hour trying to fish the door opening limiter rod out of the hollow area where the pop-out cab vent sits. I was surprised how much crud and leaves and general dirt collects in there.

Open the vent, grab the spring from the outside and gently push it down and in to unhook it, so the vent door opens further. Loosen crud at the bottom of the hollow space with a screwdriver and shopvac it out until you can see the drain hole in the bottom - that could save that cab corner from rusting through from the inside!
When I cleaned mine out, along with all the compost, and rodent-nesting-type material, I found a bonus door limiter and rubber absorber cushion at the bottom of both pockets that someone at some time had dropped down there, and instead of fishing them out, they just replaced the parts!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks