• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rapco paint is no longer Gillespie?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I just opened a recent order of RAPCO paint for using as touch up paint, and the cans in it were NOT Gillespie. A company called "Custom Paint USA" is on the label.

different volume, different propellent blend. No idea what type of paint it actually is. My main concern is that it might be slightly off, just enough to bug the crap out of my OCD. I'd rather not have to repaint my entire truck because it's different enough that I can notice it, or ti find out in a year that it fades at a different rate than the Gillespie does.

I haven't yet used any of it, as I just emailed RAPCO to express my annoyance at the switch out they made, when their website specifically states " ALL PAINTS ARE GILLESPIE COATINGS,INC. NON ACRYLIC ALKYD ENAMEL!"

I sent RAPCO an email stating my displeasure at the switch in suppliers, and asked if this is a temporary thing or permanent change. I'll update this if/when they respond.

UPDATE: There is a larger update below, but short version different can supplier same paint inside.

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stinks. I'm having good luck with the Gillespie. When I am done I may have one unopened gallon of 24052 if you are interested.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stinks. I'm having good luck with the Gillespie. When I am done I may have one unopened gallon of 24052 if you are interested.
I still have half of a gallon can; this order was for a dozen rattle cans to use primarily for touch up. Being for touch up, if it doesn't match perfectly it will be a lot more obvious than if it was the entire rig.

Glider

I'm waiting on my second case of new paint to be delivered so I can finish repainting. I wasn't sure but had a similar feeling when I started spraying the other day. The differently labeled paint didn't seem as flat as the cans that have "touch up" on the label. I only had one or 2 of the touch up label and they were sprayed several months before. I have a picture of new paint in the camo paint thread. It is raining in the picture but it does give an idea of color.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a call from Mark at Rapco.
So here is what's going on.

The supplier of the rattle cans that he was using is unable to supply him anymore. So he is now using a different spray can supplier.
The manufacturer for the valve at the top of the can went under, so it's now a different valve/spray mechanism as well.
The contents are basically the same.
Due to california laws, the propellent and thinner mix had to be adjusted a little as well.

The process is something like this.
RAPCO buys the empty cans.
RAPCO buys paint from Gillespie.
Rapco uses the paint from Gillespie to load the spray cans. All the paint is the same paint, whether it be in the gallon can or the spray can. The only difference is the spray can paint is thinned out a little with acetone in order to properly spray out the nozzle. This means it might look just a little different than the gallon spray, depending if you thinned out the gallon with one or another type of thinner. This is why Xylene is the recommended thinner, as it helps keep the paint as flat as possible looking.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been a fan of these non-carc paints. They have too much sheen for me. If you look at a truck and see any kind of glare, it isnt carc.
I'm actually pretty happy with the RAPCO and how it turned out. It isn't quite as dead flat as the CARC is I will admit, but it's still very flat looking to me, and as I'm not planning on getting looked at under NVG conditions, it's close enough and easy enough to change whenever I want to look different

springer1981

I've been using the Rapco paint on my Hmuvee and have been happy with the color match. However I ordered a couple of the spray cans recently and more came out of the bottom of the valve and all over my hands than came out the nozzle. I sent them an email to explain the problem and they promptly gave me a refund that I didn't ask for. I was just trying to let them know of the issue. I wanted paint to put on the Humvee not matching hands LOL. If this is a result of the new cans or valves or whatever, they need to keep looking unless mine were just a bad batch or something.

This was after the first 2 cans I used and figured out to wrap paper towels around the top to prevent getting it all over my hand. In no way am I knocking the product and would buy from them again and have. But this was a definite issue that I hope they were able to resolve.

Paint.jpg

M1165A1

I've been using the Rapco paint on my Hmuvee and have been happy with the color match. However I ordered a couple of the spray cans recently and more came out of the bottom of the valve and all over my hands than came out the nozzle. I sent them an email to explain the problem and they promptly gave me a refund that I didn't ask for. I was just trying to let them know of the issue. I wanted paint to put on the Humvee not matching hands LOL. If this is a result of the new cans or valves or whatever, they need to keep looking unless mine were just a bad batch or something.

This was after the first 2 cans I used and figured out to wrap paper towels around the top to prevent getting it all over my hand. In no way am I knocking the product and would buy from them again and have. But this was a definite issue that I hope they were able to resolve.

View attachment 842667

During my brief career as a high school graffiti artist I learmed that rubber gloves are needed when using spraypaint to avoid telltale finger discoloration. ;)

springer1981

During my brief career as a high school graffiti artist I learmed that rubber gloves are needed when using spraypaint to avoid telltale finger discoloration. ;)
Should I also have to wear rubber booties to protect my shoes? See the paper towels on the ground that are covered with dripping paint? Did you have to wipe up a pool of paint from the top of the can? I know how to spray paint and I overstand value of the rubber gloves, I've also touched up parts without puddles forming on the floor from the can. There was something wrong with this batch, this valve or whatever they want to blame it on. because I can go to the hardware store and buy hundreds of cans that Don't Do This.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 842667
Good paint but crappy nozzles. Glad to hear they are changing them. Not to mention if you are pointing down a little it drips on your project.
If you buy one of those plastic gun thingies that snap over the top so it pushes down on the nozzle they work better

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good paint but crappy nozzles. Glad to hear they are changing them. Not to mention if you are pointing down a little it drips on your project.
If you buy one of those plastic gun thingies that snap over the top so it pushes down on the nozzle they work better
Interesting...

Not sure if I have the new RapCo paint or old. Color looks the same so that makes me pretty happy. Maybe I have an intermediate version of their product. The case that I most recently purchased has one extra nozzle with every can inside the little white snap cap. The first time I got a can that way I assumed a manufacturing mistake - but all 12 cans in that lot was that way.

Does anybody else have that happening?

springer1981

Interesting...

Not sure if I have the new RapCo paint or old. Color looks the same so that makes me pretty happy. Maybe I have an intermediate version of their product. The case that I most recently purchased has one extra nozzle with every can inside the little white snap cap. The first time I got a can that way I assumed a manufacturing mistake - but all 12 cans in that lot was that way.

Does anybody else have that happening?
No extra nozzle's for me. I've bought 8 cans so far. 2 Green that worked great. Then 4 Green that worked as shown in the picture, Then 2 Black that worked Great.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The extra nozzles are the old version. The new cans don't have enough space under the cap to fit a second nozzle according to Mark.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Gillespie paint is great, but I agree about the crappy nozzles Rapco used to supply. The two nozzles I used to get from Rapco were different for two different spray patterns, which was nice. I also wrapped the cans with paper towels when spraying and wore gloves.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bummer... I guess mine are the old style too.

I also notice that the old can says Net Weight of 11 ounces on the old and 12 ounces on the new.
Wonder why the one ounce difference? Don't quite imagine it would be more paint in the new can.

I have saved all those extra nozzles and it is interesting that I noticed some were different.
I guess glcaines comment explains that!

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had decent luck with this style. I had a different one that worked a little better, but these do alright.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've had decent luck with this style. I had a different one that worked a little better, but these do alright.
I got one of those given to me and thought it was a waste of time. Figured I should at least try it though... Turns out you do have a little better control with the handle on the can - like a real paint gun. Mine didn't have a special nozzle though. Just a can holder. You supply the can and nozzle.

I recently painted a 3ft x 2ft box with it on the back right of my wrecker. It looks incredibly smooth and even and I used the can gripper.

That information and a nickel won't but you a cup of coffee though :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks