• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle Lift Blocks for a Bobber

joshs1ofakindxj

Almost done building my bobber and I had some questions about the rear axle lift blocks for the M105 suspension bolted to the frame.

First, I'm sure aluminum is a no-go with the weight we're dealing with, but is cast iron ok? It doesn't need to be billet steel or cast steel?

In particular, are these ok: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Comp-Lift...411063204&sr=1-8&keywords=pro+comp+lift+block

This is more personal preference, but should I make the truck level or a little higher in the back? I will measure for the lift block with the bed sitting on it but when I add the bed sides, cargo cover, fuel cans, pioneer tools, and maybe a spare tire to the bed I don't want the back to sit lower than the front. Should I sit the bed on, measure, then add a half inch, or...?

Thanks for input.

joshs1ofakindxj

Today I finished bolting in the rear crossmember and I drilled the holes for the air lines and tail lights. I sat the bed on the frame on some 4x4" cribbing to see how much the springs would compress.

The frame at the front by the winch is 38.5" high to the top. The frame at the very back is 38" high. I think a 3" lift block should give me a nice stance or should I stay smaller? I also will be adding about 200 lbs or so to the bed before its all done, plus the other fuel tank.

These Rough Country 3" fabricated steel ones will be $42 shipped, not worth me firing up the welder: http://www.roughcountry.com/universal-lift-block-kit-6594.html

Think they will be strong enough? If I'm holding them in my hands and I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling I can always box them with plate on the sides.

red

With the strength depends on what you plan to carry with the truck. Call them to see what they are rated for but most of their suspension products are for the 1 ton truck and lighter market.

As you mentioned how much of a lift in the rear comes down to personal preference. Your springs will settle some more (half an inch or so) as you drive it.

joshs1ofakindxj

Found some 3-3/8" cast iron lift blocks on craigslist this morning and picked them up and installed them. Should be good to go now.

joshs1ofakindxj

Also, with the M105 bed mounted to my frame with just a 1/4 rubber spacer, can I run duals without flipping the hubs? Can I run duals WITH the hubs flipped or will they stick out like crazy?

I used 2.5"x1.5".250" steel tubing. Stacked up 3 pieces then welded them together then welded 1/2" plates to enclose it all. Drilled locating holes for the pins and called it a day. My truck isn't a show queen either.

DUECE-COUPE

The fender on the trailer bed is very close to the inside dual. Run a 4x4 PT between the bed and the frame, and drill 3/4 in hole to allow the frame rivets to sink into the wood.

welldigger

Hmm trying to figure out the easiest way to explain it.

Basically you will cut the inner fenders out of the bed. Then cut a few inches extra out of the floor of the bed where the fenders were. Then weld your inner fenders back in. You will have to then fill the gap between the fender and the bed side with sheet metal. Since the inner fenders are made of flat sections of sheet metal it would be relatively easy to do. At least if you have any welding or auto body experience.

Google tubbing inner fenders for examples of what I'm talking about. The 105 would be easier than any car or truck.

joshs1ofakindxj

Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not looking to do anything like that but I did see that there was some meat I could trim off the ribs under the center of the bed if it came down to a half an inch. I guess I'll see what I need to do once I get the bed on. Just waiting on the u-bolts and lengthened driveshaft now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks