• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Drive Shaft Disconnect

tklm539

Quick question.I am planning on using my deuce during the winter months for plowing and the rest of the year on the road. Is there an advantage to removing the drive to the rear duals for the summer, fall and spring and replacing it for plowing in the winter? If so, is there an easy way to do it or is it a major project which would not warrent the time.

Thanks
Tom.

derby

There have ben other posts on this,as I remember some guys were pulling the shaft to help with fuel MPG and reduced tire scrub.others are using the lock out hubs.it is not a big project if you are a little guy. you can also do a search on the subject and I am shure You will find all you ever wanted to know.

JDToumanian

if you use the front tandem to power the truck it will wheel hop badly.
Why? I don't see how it would make a difference. I had decided to put my lockout hub on the rear tandem, in effect shortening the drive line (same as if you removed the drive shaft from between the tandems)... But I haven't installed it yet so I can still be convinced to do otherwise.

Jon

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I believe it is better to put the lockout on the front tandem, as the rear suspension acts somewhat like a 4-link in a race car and will more effectively "plant" the rearmost tires.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whichever one you free up, the driving axle will see a big increase in tire wear on that axle.
There are several advantages to freeing up the rears but you will need front wheel drive from time to time to make it over little obstacles like curbs, wet grass, slick pavement etc and for that reason alone I wouldn't want freewheeling hubs in the front. When I'm on my gravel road and come to a slight hill, I simply engage the front wheel drive on the fly.
Just my two centavos.

sermis

I had my lockout on the rear tandum. Lost of spin and hop from the front. Moved the lockout to the front and 80% better. Less spin and hop. I am running 15.5's.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
80% better huh...that agrees with Clinto's post. I'll try it, may reduce tire wear too. I have extra front hubs and can simply replace a rear hub with one of them.

alphadeltaromeo

I really dislike being ignorant...admitting it that is *wink*...but in this case, I certainly am. Looking at that pic from gringel, I simply don't get it...can someone educate me as to the thought being presented by it?

jwaller

here is the pic I linked earlier. you want the rears pushing the truck and thus the rear tandums have more leaverage to help turn the front than does the front tandum.

they have a longer lever arm and makes turning easier.

Attachments

jwaller

OSO said:
DO THEY MAKE for 5 tons rigs? Like to find out, if any are out there would like to find out price. OSO
they were made decades ago for the earilest monster trucks by bob chandler but havent been made since and the originals are very hard to find.

FreightTrain

Banned
ummm,ok,why not just pull the axle shafts and install front drive hubs in their place?Cheaper and easier than lockout hubs.Or if you can find some,get some broken/bent rear axle shafts(find some mudder types) and cut the flange off to keep the stock look.

JDToumanian

Well, I chose an unlocker vs. removing the axle shaft because I use my deuce out in the desert, in sand, quite frequently... camping, shooting, and 6x6-ing. I wanted to save my tires while on pavement but be able to go off road with a simple turn of the hub lock. It would be a P.I.T.A. to have to swap axle shafts and hub caps back and forth all the time. Messy, too, since some gear oil pools around the axle end where the outer seal is.

If you use your deuce on pavement only or rarely go off road, then either using a front hub cap or removing the drive shaft from between the tandems would be the way to go.

Regards,
Jon

jwaller

JDToumanian said:
Well, I chose an unlocker vs. removing the axle shaft because I use my deuce out in the desert, in sand, quite frequently... camping, shooting, and 6x6-ing. I wanted to save my tires while on pavement but be able to go off road with a simple turn of the hub lock. It would be a P.I.T.A. to have to swap axle shafts and hub caps back and forth all the time. Messy, too, since some gear oil pools around the axle end where the outer seal is.

If you use your deuce on pavement only or rarely go off road, then either using a front hub cap or removing the drive shaft from between the tandems would be the way to go.

Regards,
Jon
Ditto. plus if you are luggin that spare axle around all the time it's going to get dirty(and take up a lot o space) and need cleaning and sealing before going in and that isn't always an easy thing out in the brush and mud.

I like the ease of flipping the hub switch and going in.

But if you have the time and patience to swap that stuff around all the time then you can save yourself the $500 or so bones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks