• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear facing T case pto

jsthnt@gmail.com

As you know General Granite was a fire truck. So they left the t case pto on it.
What all can you do with a rear facing pto?
If I find a use that I just have to have for it, where would I get an engagement lever for it. I assume the one that was on it is still on the fire box.
If I decide that I do not need it how hard is it to get off? What is it worth? And Where do I get a plate to put back on the T case?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, let me take a shot at this. Anything that needs to run 2 directions with full engine power can be run off this. Winches and hydraulic pumps come to mind. Some fire trucks had the engagement on the bed, others used a cab lever by the E Brake. Odds of finding the lever not part of the PTO package is rare, probably have to fabricate one.

Removal, depends on how that bed is mounted as to how hard it is to remove. Removal is pretty simple, series of bolts, oil line and dog gear bolted to shaft of transfer case. The cover can be sourced off any M44 series transfer case or sourced from the buyer of the PTO.

Worth? Only what one will pay for it. FWIW I once sold one on Ebay for $225. I also sold another on Ebay for over $900. Just depends on what someone wants to pay or how badly they need it.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a vote that you leave it there as you may find a use for it someday. Some ideas I can think of would be a rear facing winch, a hydraulic system, or a water pump.

Over the past few months I have seen the rear facing PTO (without linkages) go for about $400 in the classifieds of this forum.

Rick

phil2968

I have 8000# Ramsey winch to mount between the rear frame rails of my bobber. I would run it with a rear facing pto. If I could find one close and cheap!

KsM715

What can you do with it? Make a fast $500. Thats what I did with the one I pulled from a 530 sitting in a junkyard. If it would have fit the 5ton I would have kept it. Way to many uses for a t-case pto.

Last edited:

lawdog1623

I wonder how hard it would be to fab a brushhog to run off the back of a deuce! Is that conceivable considering the rear pro?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the PTO is on the deuce transmission, then a standard inspection plate will cover up the hole TNJ Murray had the US GI ones at the MVPA Convention, but you should be able to get one at any heavy truck parts place (get the gasket too!).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was no PTO stuff on the bed when they pulled it. I know, I'm the one that ended up with it. I tried to talk Ian out of the PTO when I picked the bed up but he wouldn't let it go. All of the PTO stuff would have been left with the truck anyway.

It would be very easy to fab up the linkage. It's just a in/out lever that's mounted on a shaft mounted to the floorboard.

I have removed them with the bed in place but I'll never do it again. It's pretty easy with the bed off although some of the bolts are still kind of hard to get to.

pyro1955

If you want to remove it, I'd be happy to swap the PTO for my cover plate.....:grin:.. Seriously, if mine had one on it, I would not take it off, and if I can find one cheap enough I'll be adding one. I have a plan to make mine a dump bed with a hoist salvaged from a dump bed Stake truck my neighbor had.... Someday....

jsthnt@gmail.com

There was no PTO stuff on the bed when they pulled it. I know, I'm the one that ended up with it. I tried to talk Ian out of the PTO when I picked the bed up but he wouldn't let it go. All of the PTO stuff would have been left with the truck anyway.
There was a small tank under the passangers seat that must have been for the fire box too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks