• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear fender condenser to Red Dot install thread

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So update, 2 years later.
System was working great up to a couple weeks ago.
Unit would turn on , then trip the breaker after about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Found the power input connector melted a little.
Replaced the connector and contacts, but no change.

Pulled out the multimeter, and found something in the condenser fan circuit was shorting to ground.

Unplugged the fans, the wires are open to ground, so they are good.

Found the rear fan on the condenser shorted to ground.

Resistance on front fan was about 1.22 k ohms.
rear fan resistance 0.5 ohms.
Tried to hook each of them up to a milwaukee 18V battery. big spark for the rear fan, front fan worked normally.

Removed the fan, found it was locked up.

Checked the parts manual for the ECV/REV trucks, all it shows is the overall assembly (unless I'm looking in the wrong spot?)

Fan assembly had the part number on it.

Rear fan is 4109028
front fan is 4109027

Entering those numbers into parttarget got me

4109028 shows as NSN 4140-01-548-1171
AM General part number 6015594

4109027 shows as NSN 4140-01-548-2496
AM General part number 6105595

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems that I now have a failed rear condensor fan. Were you able to repair that rear fan motor or did you have to reorder a new one?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems that I now have a failed rear condensor fan. Were you able to repair that rear fan motor or did you have to reorder a new one?
I had to order a new fan assembly. Mine was locked up and shorted to ground, so no fix available at my skill level, as it's a sealed motor assembly.

I did a quick search for just the motor and was unable to locate any for sale.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Company that makes the unit is Unimotor, out of Canada.

Someone might contact the company and see if they are willing/able to sell these direct to the public.

They don't show the military parts in their catalog. All they have is this:

I bought the only fan assemblies, one of each, that I saw for sale on ebay. No more are showing up.

quick searches with the common vendors aren't showing any in stock anywhere

You might be forced to purchase a complete assembly in order to get the fans.

Maybe one of the guys selling them on ebay might be willing to sell just the fans off of one for the same price, and save you a hundred or so on shipping.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too had a chance to do some research. Unimotor manufactured the entire condenser unit but the fan unit is from a company called Mobile Climate Control out of Indiana. They quoted me as having a 13 week lead time on that particular fan unit, don't sell directly to the public but only through their distribution network. I did however find out that the 12" fan motor and 10" fan motor are identical. The 10" fan unit is currently available and much cheaper than the 12" version. I'm planning on simply swapping out the motor and using the original 12" shroud and blade.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too had a chance to do some research. Unimotor manufactured the entire condenser unit but the fan unit is from a company called Mobile Climate Control out of Indiana. They quoted me as having a 13 week lead time on that particular fan unit, don't sell directly to the public but only through their distribution network. I did however find out that the 12" fan motor and 10" fan motor are identical. The 10" fan unit is currently available and much cheaper than the 12" version. I'm planning on simply swapping out the motor and using the original 12" shroud and blade.
Very good to know.
Do you have a part number or link for the 10" version?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks