• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear LMTV Axle seal replacement question

PowerstrokeNC

So I am in the process of changing leaking seals on the rear as I am getting fluid transfer from center diff to outer gear case. Well it appears the seal that is leaking is actually on the center diff and not the outer hub as originally thought. However since I have the outer hub disassembled it looks like the fluid can freely transfer from the outer hub into at least the tubes going back to the center diff (casing around drive shaft).

Looking in the cavity there is no way the 12-13oz could fill this to an acceptable level. Yet there is no seal from what i can tell that is stopping the outer fluid from traveling down the drive-shaft into the tube cavity.

Anybody had one of these apart? Or have any thoughts? thanks

Last edited:

PowerstrokeNC

I just noticed my response to this thread never posted so will repost....

First off thanks to all who chimed in it helped us along our way. The reason for all the questions was we were originally told from an "unnamed source" that the axle fluid (center diff) and planetary were separate for ALL axles. So this had me scratching my head once the axle was apart as it clearly was open all the way through. Hence all the questions, my common sense told me it shared fluid, but I kept second guessing it thinking I was missing something.

So yes, fronts are of course separate and rears are not.

I will tell you these axles are a piece of art, a testament to man and his ingenuity. :D I would also not want to pay retail for anything in there though, lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks