• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear wheels stuck on

peglegwillie

Could use some ideas here. The rear wheels on M1009 are stuck on axle. Tried to remove them after lug nuts and they won’t budge! Soaked them in Blaster couple times yet still not budging. I do know the area I bought it from uses a lot of salt on roads as by the surface rust on entire drivetrain. Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thank you

Dock Rocker

First try going around the lip of the wheel with a hammer. Don’t bend the lip obviously.

If that doesn’t work put the other 3 wheels on the ground and support under the axle on the stick wheel. Get a long leaver like a 2x4 and try leverage across the face of the wheel.

When all of that doesn’t work loosen all of the lug nuts about 1/4 of the way and set the tire down completely and let it support the weight of the truck. Then put it in drive if it’s a front wheel or reverse if it’s a rear wheel and go for a few feet and slam on the breaks. Repeat until it breaks loose.

My nephews aluminum wheel and metal drum on his Toyota had a galvanic reaction and it almost welded them together. The loose lug nuts trick is sub optimal but it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyoffroad

A heavy dead blow hammer works good and rarely damages the wheel, could also try loosening the nuts and heat the wheel in the center.

Ilikemtb999

A bottle jack between the frame and tire with a block of wood up against the tire was always my method if dropping it down on the jack or rolling back and forth didn’t work. Be sure to keep the lug nuts half on because it’ll pop pretty good.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've sat in front of the tire like I was removing it and kicked at it from the seated position. Usually works. On others I've used a prybar between the back of the rim and the drum. Just think, the brake drum will be even worse.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Lower the truck till just before ground contact, place a long enough 6x6 to go across the rim, lay it on the ground up against the rim, if to low, build up under the 6x6, then use your BFH, I mean BFH, a couple of good hits shall set her free.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lower the truck till just before ground contact, place a long enough 6x6 to go across the rim, lay it on the ground up against the rim, if to low, build up under the 6x6, then use your BFH, I mean BFH, a couple of good hits shall set her free.
Ron,
We used to call that a BMFH.............................Pretty sure it is the same tool, but wanted to clarify!

LOL

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A heavy dead blow hammer works good and rarely damages the wheel, could also try loosening the nuts and heat the wheel in the center.
NOT a GOOD IDEA, you could get yourself DEAD.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

By the heat raising the tire pressure until the tire explodes, the same reason not to weld a wheel with a tire on it.

Anyone who can apply enough heat with a torch to blow up a wheel probably shouldn't be working on vehicles at all.

Yes, it can be done, but you really have to draw on some extra deep reserves of stupid to make it happen.

A little attention with a MAPP gas torch is how I got mine off just a few weeks ago. I guess I was fresh out of stupid that day, so everything worked out okay. Mind you, I probably have plenty more stupid built up in my account now, but that day I was pretty tapped out. I didn't manage to even warm up the rim, let alone the tire. Got the center hot enough to break it loose, though. It didn't really take much.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone who can apply enough heat with a torch to blow up a wheel probably shouldn't be working on vehicles at all.

Yes, it can be done, but you really have to draw on some extra deep reserves of stupid to make it happen.

A little attention with a MAPP gas torch is how I got mine off just a few weeks ago. I guess I was fresh out of stupid that day, so everything worked out okay. Mind you, I probably have plenty more stupid built up in my account now, but that day I was pretty tapped out. I didn't manage to even warm up the rim, let alone the tire. Got the center hot enough to break it loose, though. It didn't really take much.
There is plenty of that going around these days .

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's ironic I replied to this as the fronts on my newly acquired M1010 are seized on. As soon as they wouldn't move I thought of this thread. Even swung a sledge at them... No Joy! Soaked the lug holes with PB for the night. Not walking away totally defeated, the rears came off...

Doh!

cucvrus

I still stand by my statement. I heated a lot of lug nuts and wheels over the past 40 years. I never got one that hot that the tire pressure changed. If the tires were filled with hydrogen I would not be doing so. But I never heard of or seen anyone that was hurt in anyway by heating lug nuts or wheel centric. I may be poorly equipped but I welded pin holes shut on wheels while they had air in them. Tack welding and checking with a water hose. Welded a few flat washers at valve stems on filled tractor tires. Have a Great Day. On another note I ran with scissors also. And sang at the table.

MarcusOReallyus

If the tires were filled with hydrogen I would not be doing so.

Oh, don't give the tire industry any ideas for more things to sell us! They'll claim it improves gas mileage by making your car lighter, or something! :cookoo:

On another note I ran with scissors also. And sang at the table.
Oh, now that's just over the top!

The singing, I mean. You could choke on some broccoli! :eek:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

The ISSUE is not the instant heat but the lingering heat, as the center heats, the heat has NO WHERE to go but out, which will heat the air contracting the rim, with the volume of air in the tire, and the tire NOT in ground moving contract to suck the heat away, the air just keeps expanding, since it does not take much heat to get the air expanded enough that SOMETHING has to give.

YOU may have been lucky and got away with heating for 40 years, that does not mean that the next heated wheel will not go bang, there is a REASON for the DO NOT HEAT WHEELS WITH AIRED UP TIRES, non aired up good tires will go bang, just takes longer.

So with the above said and you guys DO heat the wheel, you COULD HAVE a VERY bad day and a very upset family, and besides if you live, you will HEAR for ever afterwards "How come you did NOT check", just this alone makes the risk to high.

sandcobra164

Simple way to defuse this conversation. Remove the valve core from a tire if using heat sources near the rim. Reinstall the valve core and inflate the tire afterwards. Too easy, not much extra work and we'll all be working safely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks