• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear winch suggestions

M1165A1

McSpeed’s thread on getting stuck has me considering adding a rear winch to my M1165A1. I do go in the backcountry a lot and getting stuck is a real concern. I will shortly have a 17K front mount winch permanently installed.

I am just toying with options, but I am wondering what people who have a rear winch have done for install. One possibility is “hitch” mounting a winch on a plate that I could then insert into my trailer hitch. (I have a Black Dog 2” hitch adapter installed, very nicely made product by the way.)

I could power that winch and as suggested by RetiredWarhorses could use a forklift connector as a plug, using 1/0 gauge wire to the starter.

Any thoughts on the above? I’d have to fabricate a horizontal mounting plate but not too hard using a piece of 5/8 steel or something similar.

I’d appreciate any experience/conjecture/spitballing and doubly value any photos!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mount part number is 5340-01-486-5962 and works with virtually all 10K on up winches, and cheap, under $200 shipped on Fleabay.
It does require an air lift bumper.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UploadFile1668702604.515947.jpg
I built one about 25 years ago and use the snot out of it. 5/8 plate would be way overkill, you want to keep it as light as possible, synthetic rope would be a plus as well. I have receivers welded, bolted or pined to the front rear and sometimes the middle of just about every vehicle and piece of equipment I own. I also made a receiver on a keyhole plate that you can drop over a hitch ball or chain to a stationary object. I have short Anderson connectors or slave plugs installed at their batteries, and have a 25’ jumper made of 4/0 welding lead that I drape over the truck to the rear if needed, as well as and assortment of different interchangeable ends. If you can afford it, buy one one of 98G s deluxe jumper kits.

Reactions: 98G

springer1981

Same suggestion...

You can also buy it direct from their website..

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the winch on some sort of plate, then attach a stout hook to the plate. Wire it with a slave connector. Then you can use the hook to attach it to any of dozen different rings and tie-downs on the front or rear.

Reactions: 98G

springer1981

It does require an air lift bumper.
I don't think it is a requirement because it doesn't attach to the bumper itself. From a manual or military aspect it might but I think it would only need a simple bracket made to bolt to. #6 is the bumper mounting bracket the winch attaches to, real easy to make something..

rearwinch.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny how SECO raised the price on Fleabay a few minuets after my post, at the time of my post it was $139.
Edit, I removed the comment about being sorry I did business with SECO, the timing did seem a little suspicious but that comment was uncalled for.

Last edited:

springer1981

Funny how SECO raised the price on Fleabay a few minuets after my post, at the time of my post it was $139, I am sorry I ever did business with them,,,,,
It was, I saw it. I'm surprised. The website still has it .... until they read this I guess. When I bought mine from them it was $105 and I sent an offer and got it for $90. Nobody wanted them at the time I guess.

Sad part is you can buy it new for $181 here ...

It pays to look around $175 ...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was, I saw it. I'm surprised. The website still has it .... until they read this I guess. When I bought mine from them it was $105 and I sent an offer and got it for $90. Nobody wanted them at the time I guess.

Sad part is you can buy it new for $181 here ...

It pays to look around $175 ...
Me too, the last ones I bought I offered IIRC $80 ea on 2, these can be modified to fit on the front, although it was part of the front bumper project so anyone else would need to build it a little different.
6.jpg2.jpg

springer1981

Funny how SECO raised the price on Fleabay a few minuets after my post, at the time of my post it was $139, I am sorry I ever did business with them,,,,,
They just raised the website price too. Cost less to buy it NEW elsewhere now. LOL good business model on their part NOT.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the winch on some sort of plate, then attach a stout hook to the plate. Wire it with a slave connector. Then you can use the hook to attach it to any of dozen different rings and tie-downs on the front or rear.
How do you keep the winch from twisting as the rope winds from one side to the other? seems you would end up with the winch twisted and trying to wind all the rope on one end of the drum

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They just raised the website price too. Cost less to buy it NEW elsewhere now. LOL good business model on their part NOT.
Gosh, every time I come to this site I find more stuff to spend $ on. I noticed the price on Fleabay from the link went up but the price on their private web site was not yet raised. So I figured I would go ahead a bit and I snagged one for the lower price. rofl

I have two rooms full of parts for my 4L80 swap that I will start in a couple of weeks when I retire and now I am going to have to start piling up stuff in a third room!

I'm hoping to find a black friday deal on a winch to use in the rear. Maybe I'll just go cheap for the rear and get a 12V one instead of the expensive 24v one I stuck on the front.

M1165A1

I had considered the rear winch plate but I don't think I can run that and the civilian tow hitch adapter, and I need that to move around a trailer. Does anyone know if you can have both?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had considered the rear winch plate but I don't think I can run that and the civilian tow hitch adapter, and I need that to move around a trailer. Does anyone know if you can have both?
Picture?

springer1981

Pictures would be very helpful when asking questions like these however I think I found a picture you posted previously and it looks like an Air Lift Bumper and Rhino tire carrier. So this begs the question if you have the hitch extension as well and if you are using the civilian hitch adapter that hangs down below the bumper. All unknown information that would be helpful however based on my experience with most of the above items I think the winch would be able to operate with the class 3 hitch even if it hangs down some. Even more likely if you have the extension. Here is a picture of my rear winch install.

M1165A1

Sorry I should have posted a photo but am away this week - I will try and get one together. But the one below (from the Black Dog website) is pretty much identical to mine other than the color. Mine is on an airflift bumper vs the mount shown below. And I do have a Rhino tire carrier but I believe that will not interfere with the winch.

1668731230089.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks