• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear winches - how are they powered/operated?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I'm interested in having a winch on/at the rear of my Deuce in the future,....

My Deuce has the rear PTO fitted but nothing attached and I was thinking that would be where I could run a winch from,... maybe?

Aussie.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Winches? Who needs a winch anyways...

They’re all overrated!

Honestly I’ve been seriously thinking about mounting my NOS warn 18k under the rear of my deuce if it doesn’t sell, sorry to derail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasttruck

The rearward facing PTO on the transfer case is for trucks like the M49C, M50, and the pipeline construction truck that have a pump or winch mounted behind the cab. A front winch uses a PTO attached (in a deuce) to the left side of the transmission. Both use a shaft or shafts to operate the accessory and sometimes, in the case of a rear winch, a chain and sprocket too. M817 dump trucks use a double ended PTO to run both the winch and the dump body . A M816 has 2 ptos and the one to the rear is further split by a power divider to operate either the crane or the rear winch.

DavidWymore

I see. So for the the Tcase PTOs I have, you put the Tcase in N and run the speed and direction with the trans, correct? Can they be run with the Tcase in gear? I'm thinking along the lines of winch recovery operations.

fasttruck

I guess it would work in gear. With a front winch, if you put the trans in 1st, the transfer in low and the winch pulling in in low the wheels and the cable speed ,match. Pumps are directional so you would put T case in neutral and trans in direct drive to run a fuel or water pump. A M123 has a rear winch and the direction is controlled at the winch. T case in neutral, PTO in and pick a gear in the transmission. Maybe the -10 manual for a deuce would glean some details on the pipeline truck but I would expect there is provision to operate it from behind the cab but this winch is not expected to be used for recovery. The 530 fire truck also has a PTO from the transfer to operate the 500 gpm fire pump which is run with the transmission in direct drive.

Yes that correct
Reverse is cable on 5 forward speeds is cable off when I set it up I was thinking of the sprag gear turning the wrong way.
I wanted to use it for pulling a vehicle up on a trailer .
Sometimes when loading some thing after hooking up I pull forward to get the cable straight and then use the winch to pull truck and trailer backwards to what is being loaded .

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe they have the dual PTO to drive a pump for the water at the middle or the back of the truck. My M51 (5-ton) has a dual and I am now fighting with it.

I think only wreckers have rear winches.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the m756a2 pipeline truck all rear winch control is done from the driver's seat. Speeds 1-5 on the transmission bring the cable in and reverse pays the cable out. The winch clutch lever is operated with your arm out the back window. If you were trying to drive in reverse the winch cable would be paying out so it wouldn't work for self recovery while the wheels are spinning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks