• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear window Plexiglas??

K9Vic

Too light for the spring cranks and it will always pop it up when down. I bought a M1009 a few weeks ago and it had a plexiglass rear window and I replaced it with glass. I guess they cheaped out and used plediglass and over time it also scratched up the outsde due to the mechanics inside. I will post a picture of it later as I do not have them right now.

Basically it is not a good idea as it does not work well.

Hutch

I have an 86 m1008 and it came from the military with a plexi-glass rear window. I assume it was some type of temporary fix that never got addressed after the fact...

Jbrowning22

I have it installed on mine. I have the real glass, but I just didn't feel like spending all the money on all the window crank stuff I needed. It works, it's held up with cotter pins, and does the trick.

......state inspector never noticed it. ;-)

Jbrowning22

... and wouldn't know about, until you've now publicly stated it... :???:

'Tanner'
All 50,000 VA state safety inspectors read this forum!!!

Worst case, (if I wasn't the direct supervisor of two of them) I could put the glass in, hold it up with wood, and go through inspection. My guys didn't do my last inspection, before you say it ;-)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Joe,

If you plan on using the CUCV offroad only, plexi is fine. On road - DOT safety glass is only way to go. The scratched flexi issue is not that important compared to your safety.

Good going on the CUCV, I have seen your other posts on the truck we went up and got together, and aside from some minor issues, looks like a nice rig.

joediveguy

Hey Joe,

If you plan on using the CUCV offroad only, plexi is fine. On road - DOT safety glass is only way to go. The scratched flexi issue is not that important compared to your safety.

Good going on the CUCV, I have seen your other posts on the truck we went up and got together, and aside from some minor issues, looks like a nice rig.

Hey Mike, I have glass in it now but it is real tight and I need to do some adjusting. Yes, she is in pretty good shape. I’ll bring her by one day, once I get the Title in from GL and get her all legal!

You should see the M101A2 I just picked up. Retro fitted in 2009 and looks to have been unused since!

jeepjseries

Previous owner installed a regular pick up tailgate. My plan is to cut a piece of plexiglass to install for winter time, Figure ill set it on a piece of wood or something on the tailgate. Anyone else ever done this?

Jbrowning22

Could you please elaborate on this? I kind of get it but not quite. Use two quick release pins on the bottom, or did you have something else in mind.
Well, that is what you use to attach plexiglas to race cars. You cut the window to fit the hold then install the dzus fasteners attachment points on the backside on 90 degree
Brackets. Just look around online for pics of how racecar windows attach. Make sure to use "Lexan" polycarbonate and not acrylic.

I don't understand the guys who say this is a safety issue. It's a rear window, and the factory glass is not designed to pop out of the body when a person flys through it. If you think this is unsafe, then god forbid you ever come within a 100ft of a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks