• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reassembly without marring paint?

Capt.Marion

I've got probably the biggest newbie painting question- but it's eluded me and ticks off my sphincterly challenged side...

When you take pieces (fenders, hoods, panels, mudflaps, etc...) off of a truck to paint them separately and paint behind them where you normally wouldn't have access to, how do you put them back on without buggering up the fasteners (bolts, lugnuts, etc...)? Do you just paint the fasteners after you reassemble the component, or do you just sand the fasteners and throw a fresh coat of paint back on them after it's reassembled, or what?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just did this to fix some of the parts smushed in my roll over. I have never liked the west coast mirrors. This was my reason to change to the "elephant ear" style mirrors. I took them to a buddy's to sandblast them. Cleaned all the dust off, Applied a couple coats of primer, let sit for a day or two. Them I gave them 2 light coats of paint and let them sit for another day. After I installed them on the truck, I applied a touch-up coat to spots that I thought were thin or got marred from wrenches. HTH.

crazyplowboy

Chris beat me to it, I sand blast the fasteners, prime them with 2 coats. Let the primer set up and harden for a couple of days, then I shoot a coat of paint or two if needed and let them set a day. Assemble and put a finish coat over everything and you should be good to go

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cap screws are usually cad plated and sanding or blasting them may remove some of the plating (rust protection). After assembly, I'd suggest you wipe them down good with thinner or acetone, prime them and touch up with paint after a few days. when the primer is good and ready. That's what I do most of the time. For fasteners holding fenders etc together must also provide a continuous electrical return path, so make sure good hardened star washers are used to punch thru the fresh paint...

emr

Gee I thought one should just be careful, but really most places after sanding, sand blast or what ever, prime all and only paint the areas to hidden, assemble then paint the truck. other wise like u said U bugger all the paint up... it sure is easier to sand the primer when scratched than the paint.....painting all after finishes everything. in one last step....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks