• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding Clutch Pressure Plate ?

digitaldust

does anyone know about rebuilding a pressure plate on the deuce ?
I have one broken finger holder at the pin hold end.

also looking for a clutch disc.

does anyone know how deep the clutch pad should be ? i only have 7K Miles on this truck with a 09 Re-depot rebuild on motor and trans .

Also , what is the difference 3 finger plate or 4 finger plate ?

20130702_164239.jpg20130702_153526.jpg20130702_163804.jpg20130702_163921.jpg20130702_164104.jpg

FYI should you be reading this in a search down the road ;)

Symptoms: Truck had grinding gear noise in 1 , R and did not want to sync going into 2 ,3 ,4 ,5 wile running
with truck not running trans shifted great.
Yes the clutch did move back and forth in the inspection window and adjusting the clutch play did not help.
hope this helps someone in the future.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Four finger style is the older type, three is the latest version. To rebuild, you would need to find a donor 'finger' to replace the one that broke. Cheaper and faster to buy a new plate.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
don't 'get lazy' or forget to resurface that flywheel. you cannot put a new disk against a worn flywheel. it will slip.

eagle4g63

It is best to replace your 4 finger pressure plate with the better 3 finger. As you see the 4 finger is prone to breaking......the same thing happened in my deuce, was a scary thing while driving in traffic and the thing wouldn't "let off" when I pushed in the clutch, had to force it out of gear. I wouldn't even wast my time rebuilding the 4 finger......could happen again, and do you REALLY want to pull the trans again?

You can get a hold of C&C equipment here in Indiana......he has the new set ups and pretty fast on shipping them out.......he is a member here and you can also find his contact info on the dreaded "evil bay"

digitaldust

I changed the clutch in my m109a3 and did not know about resurfacing the flywheel
Where do I take that and what is the cost on average

Also how about all the types of clutch disc and the pad layout

My m109a3 is great but engine break makes the truck kinda jump

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't fool around with trying to rebuild the PP. You can find NOS 3-finger pressure plates very cheap. Ditto on resurfacing the flywheel. If the pilot bearing is worn, I'd replace it as well. If the crankshaft seal was leaking I'd replace it as well.

eagle4g63

As too the flywheel, call around.........check auto stores that turn brake rotors, or even machine shops. I just happen to be luck to have a high end auto machine shop close by........they do any type of machine work for cars and trucks.....I don't remember how much I think it was less than $50.

If you call C&C they sell the clutch kit with everything in it: pressure plate, clutch disk, throw out bearing, and the pilot bushing....all together, I think I paid $350 for it.

Attachments

digitaldust

oldclutch.jpgnewclutch.jpgOk well this is a update,
I have installed the new Clutch and P-plate , the flywheel was good , I have adjusted the clutch and I still have the same darn trouble , the truck grinds like mad going into gear,
COULD the throwout bearing be making this trouble?

ALso the new clutch does not have the taper on the center as the old one did , the new clutch is just a round center spline with no taper on the transmission side.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

And if you don't surface that flywheel you'll be putting another clutch in soon. Save yourself the trouble and just get it done. No used flywheel is "Just ok" to reuse with a new clutch.

Jeepsinker

It has sealed roller bearings in it that wear out and put uneven pressure on the fingers, which makes it hard to completely release when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Jeepsinker

Never do a clutch job without replacing everything while you're in there. It ain't worth the few bucks you save. Not biting your head off, I've just learned from experience in the automotive field.

digitaldust

Yes I thank you for the help. I will re-install and advise. thanks again,
I'd have to say. your just being clear and direct , with great information ,

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Your welcome. If you can't get the flywheel surfaced then you can use a right angle air buffer and a red roloc ( kinda like scotch brite) disk to scuff it up and it'll get you by for a while, but you won't get a good lifespan out of it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what gear are you trying to put it into? are you giving it time to stop spinning or using a syncro gear to brake it first? if you do brake it with a syncro does it then go into gear (1st or rev easily?) it all makes a differance in diagnosing what is wrong.

digitaldust

I just take off in first, and Yup I do wait on the spin down, Its working great now that I have changed the throwout !
works like it should ! thanks again to everyone on SS !
Hope this thread helps others with this question down the road .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks