• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding the Injection pump

rustystud

045.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg044.jpg001.jpg

I'm in the process of rebuilding two Injection pumps. Since I don't have an installer for this bearing on the pump "cam shaft" and I don't want to spend the money on having one made I will use a trick I learned years ago and I thought I would share it with everyone here. First you take the part that will receive the bearing in this case the injection camshaft and put it in the deep freeze. For best results keep it in overnight. In picture one you see the part in a "zip lock" bag in my freezer. Then using a piece of pipe and my "heat gun" I heated up the bearing ( use low heat ! you only want the bearing heated up to about 250 degrees ) . This should only take a minute, literally ! Then having the frozen part securely held ( like in the vise) you quickly transfer the heated bearing onto the shaft. It should seat all the way immediately. Then using some lubricant ( I use "Tri-Flow" ) spray the bearing to cool it down. Picture seven shows the bearing fully installed on the shaft without any hammering or prying of any kind. This process also helps the shaft and bearing by not applying any pressure on them and actually "scuffing" the surfaces. At work we use this trick on all wheel bearing races that go into the hub and on the "MAN" buses since they love to use "press fit" bearings on everything. I guess it is a German engineering thing.

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

Just seems like it would add to the longevity of the parts not over stressing them in a press or worse hammering them together. Any tricks/tips for getting the old bearings off the shaft?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work, you have those pumps grenaded; have used that technique many times on big airplanes and ag equipment.

rustystud

Just seems like it would add to the longevity of the parts not over stressing them in a press or worse hammering them together. Any tricks/tips for getting the old bearings off the shaft?
On wheel hubs we sometimes weld a bed down the center of the race and it will drop out. By doing this cold install and heat removal we get longer life out of our hub assemblies.

rustystud

Are you rebuilding that so you can take it on the Alaska trip this year?
Yes. I plan on having spares of all the major failure parts like injection pumps and alternators and such. When the weather gets a little warmer I plan on finishing my M105 trailer with an enclosed top (6 ft tall) and dual wheels. This way I can bring my tools and spare parts along with a extra 100 gallon fuel tank and my MEP-531 generator. My son and I will sleep in the truck bed. I had at one time thought about bringing my 24ft travel trailer but it will be easier getting to the tools and parts in the M105 trailer then climbing into the bed of the deuce. Plus the tools will be safer under lock and key in the trailer.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"My son and I will sleep in the truck bed."

Tried that in Norway, almost died

Get about 450 layers of something between the human and the truck bed
Steel will suck the life out of humans in the absence of heat
It is better to sleep in the snow then sleep in the truck
....--------- ............ Plus, they can't find you.
Survive

rustystud

"My son and I will sleep in the truck bed."

Tried that in Norway, almost died

Get about 450 layers of something between the human and the truck bed
Steel will suck the life out of humans in the absence of heat
It is better to sleep in the snow then sleep in the truck
....--------- ............ Plus, they can't find you.
Survive
I have "cots" that we will actually sleep on. Also this will be in the summer. I have slept in the bed of a deuce before in the Marines. Not so bad. This time around I will also have a "mattress" !

rustystud

Rusty, can you give us a breakdown on the governor differences between LDT and LDS?

001.jpg002.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg009.jpg011.jpgView attachment Scan0163.pdfView attachment Scan0164.pdf

The only differences are here. Pictures one and two shows the internal linkage with the "Smoke Cam". The left one is the "LDT" and the right one is the "LDS" one. You can see in pictures three, four, five and six the differences in the angles.
The "LDT" had an angle of 47 degrees and the "LDS" had an angle of 100 degrees. In diagram eight you see the factory angles for the "smoke cam" . In picture seven you see the last difference which is the governor springs. There is almost no external difference between the LDT and LDS springs but they both have different "spring rates" (strengths) . According to the TM (picture nine) you can see the "spring rate" for each pump. In picture seven you can also see the "shims" that can be used to bring the "spring rates" up to specs.
So after measuring everything these are the "only" differences between the "LDT" and "LDS" injection pumps. Also the timing advance springs are smaller in the LDS pump which will allow a faster ramping up of engine speed. Like changing the weight springs in a gasoline engines distributor.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Very cool , rusty, thanks a lot for taking the time to check it out and share.

Aren't the Hyd heads different, but no difference in plunger? Just the spring maybe?

rustystud

Very cool , rusty, thanks a lot for taking the time to check it out and share.

Aren't the Hyd heads different, but no difference in plunger? Just the spring maybe?
I completely disassembled all the Hydraulic Heads and found no differences between them. The only other difference I have found in all the injection pumps was the taller spring (7 coils) for the "cam" piston used on the "G" model pump. The reason for the taller spring was because the "piston" or Tappet on the "code G" pump has a recess in it.

Last edited:

rustystud

005.jpg001.jpg002.jpg014.jpg010.jpg012.jpg023.jpg027.jpg028.jpg

I had two hydraulic heads that each had a problem. One had a broken "fuel plunger" shaft so it was basically trash, and the other had a bent-up gear retainer. So I took off the retainer from the broken shaft hydraulic head and installed it on the one with the bad retainer. I had to use a high speed grinder to cut the "swedges" out. I just removed two of them as the third was next to the "indexing" mark and gently pried it over. Then after removing the bent-up one I installed the good retainer and using a screwdriver made one swedge opposite the indexing mark. I know most guys will never have to do this but just incase someone needs a new retainer from a trashed hydraulic head this is how you would do it.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My bad. I meant the "fuel plunger" . I'm sick with the flu right now and am running a temperature of 102 so my brain isn't working up to pare right now. Of course my "pare" isn't that great on the best of days lately !
Just checking. I wasn't sure if I had missed something. I'm not really a book(tm) reader so I was anxious to learn something!

rustystud

Just checking. I wasn't sure if I had missed something. I'm not really a book(tm) reader so I was anxious to learn something!
My problem now is I know what I want to say, but what comes out isn't always what I wanted to say.
Before I forget, do you have any Injection pump "operating shafts" laying around ? I need at least one so I can complete this second pump. If you do can you shot me a PM. Thanks Chris.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks