• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilt air pack why wont brakes release?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently rebuilt my air pack on my M54A2. Why won't my brakes release now? Seems to work fine brakes in and release air comes out tube. Everything moves correctly. A little help please?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently rebuilt my air pack on my M54A2. Why won't my brakes release now? Seems to work fine brakes in and release air comes out tube. Everything moves correctly. A little help please?

Is I adjusted so there’s slack in pedal rod? Needs to fully extend in cylinder to bleed off when pedal released.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pedal is all the way up on master cylinder. If that's what you mean. It comes to the point where it has just a little slack in it.IMG_20200328_160056675.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't quote me but was there not a small bleed back hole in the master cylinder . If that get plugged up fluid can not bleed back to master.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bled well. And brake pedal is a rock

I even went over and over and didn't have any spare parts. After rebuild? I'm stumped. The system bleeds off it just takes all day

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This little guy is the only bleeder that doesn't shoot fluid. It just trickles a little.IMG_20200328_165724163.jpg

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This little guy is the only bleeder that doesn't shoot fluid. It just trickles a little.View attachment 793885

Can the piston on the back of the can get stuck on one side or the other, when put back together? Just thinking through it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What James means is the fluid doesn't return to the master cylinder like it should when that little hole is plugged.

You should see a vigorous return, sometimes even squirting out the top of the fluid level.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What James means is the fluid doesn't return to the master cylinder like it should when that little hole is plugged.

You should see a vigorous return, sometimes even squirting out the top of the fluid level.
I've got fluid that squirts back up when pedal released. Both holes seem to be clear in master. And I can hear piston in air pak go back and forth when brakes applied. It does that untill pressure builds up in lines and them pedal won't push anymore. And then no more squirting or anything for a bit. The lines build up pressure for about 10-15 min, and brakes are lock for that time. I'm missing something. Maybe a bug crawled in there last night while it was sitting on my bench. Frustrating master worked fine befoe, only airpack died. So I think.

Reactions: 98G

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that's why my 816 locked up going down the road when I picked it up from the drmo to drive it home. Peddle got rock hard.
Maybe on the little air regulator side I was to generous with the cleaning and not enough with the lubrication. I'll probably take that side back apart and check it out. I know the can and piston are good. I spent a lot of time on that.

fasttruck

The service front glad hand on a 39 or 809 series truck is typically mounted on the hanger that supports the front of the right front fender. The air line runs down the frame rail and comes out to the fender support. This has a glad hand dummy connector on it which is vented to the atmosphere so the air charge in the applied brake lie has a means to escape when the pedal is released. As this truck has had some farmer repairs to the front bumper structure who knows what they did with the line and the vented connector.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The service front glad hand on a 39 or 809 series truck is typically mounted on the hanger that supports the front of the right front fender. The air line runs down the frame rail and comes out to the fender support. This has a glad hand dummy connector on it which is vented to the atmosphere so the air charge in the applied brake lie has a means to escape when the pedal is released. As this truck has had some farmer repairs to the front bumper structure who knows what they did with the line and the vented connector.
This explains the first pic. It's always been crimped since I got it from fire dept. Was a Texas forest service truck. Maybe that why the pak failed. Next is the vent on top of air pak. Was this connected to glad hand at front or was this separate? Lastly just a random line crimped off near air pack. Lots of "Farm" mods before I got the truck. It was free so I'm not complaining.IMG_20200329_092717066.jpgIMG_20200329_092741532.jpgIMG_20200329_092801412.jpg

fasttruck

Sometimes "free" will put you under water after you fix all the stuff that is broken. The Army's deep water fording ideas sees many items such as the vents on the master cylinder, crankcase, transmission etc piped into the air cleaner to keep water out.

Aattached are pics pf the vented glad hand used on the front service towing air connection. This allows the brakes to release by venting the air out.
If you are not going to drive the truck in water or mud maybe you can spread the crimped end to make a vent.

Attachments

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tube that had the crimped tube on it is a service tube not a vent all it does is drain tanks. The one you show in your pic is on passenger side looks looks like. I have a hole where the one in your pic is but no line. I'll figure it out or just drive it with no brakes. Down shifting to stop. Been doing that for a few years now, cause I didn't have the time to fix air pack.IMG_20200329_092717066.jpg

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have a question when bleeding the bleeder circled in red. Should it have pressure on it like the rest of the system or should it just trickle? Because everywhere else there is plenty of pressure but this one just trickles.Screenshot_20200329-172102~2.jpgIMG_20200328_165724163.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks