• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilt Motor made it a mile.

WildernessJeep

Man I was excited. Finally, got my truck all finished. The mechanic said come get it. She was purring like a kitten. Sounded great. Ran it up to operating temp, checked the coolant and oil. All seemed well.

Made it a mile. Now the motor sounds really, really bad. Towed it back to shop. Booooooooooooo.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well that was a little less miles than I thought it would make it. I was figuring on atleast maybe a 10mile test drive

WildernessJeep

Which liner exploded this time?
Dunno. Honestly it doesn't sound like the liner did--it sounds way worse. With the bad liner I could at least drive around a little and only had a little blowby. This made really bad noises, lots of smoke out the top of the motor (blew the cover gaskets), obvious loss of power. Mechanic is hoping it's not, but it sure sounds serious.

WildernessJeep

Unless it is something in the head and obvious (which I doubt), we'll pull the motor out and do a full rebuild or replacement. To be fair, I have less than $800 in the repair thus far, including parts and labor.

WildernessJeep

Unless it is something in the head and obvious (which I doubt), we'll pull the motor out and do a full rebuild or replacement. To be fair, I have less than $800 in the repair thus far, including parts and labor.
I'll be there today when they pull it apart and will post pics/video. My next play is to load it on my RGN trailer and drive it to Simp's for the week.

R

WildernessJeep

Well, the rebuilt in-frame (all new sleeves, all new pistons, heads worked, everything) just threw a rod through the side of the engine block. I'll be moving on to my 4th motor in ~1,100 miles. Anyone that says the NHC 250 is a great reliable motor doesn't know my truck.

20210613_104540.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: HDN

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Might be a redundant question but were the bearings checked or left alone?

There is another thread on this engine? And the engine had a noise that could not be determined?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Did not take pan off and check rod or crank bearings. If the clatter was that bad an easy way to check is to use a wood wedge and move the rods around and look for movement.

No matter the advise now it is time to plan a new direction.

Well do not give up the Ship.

Locate another power unit and install.

Or....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks