• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering Sarge's M49C

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge and I went on a mission this morning to recover his “new” M49C tanker. He bought it sight unseen for a couple of hundred dollars. It is a 1962 gasser, runs, but has iffy brakes. It had been used as a fire tanker, but the city had retired it and was going to sell it for parts. They had taken off the hood, side panels, and grill, but then sold the whole lot to Sarge.

We took my M813 and tow bar and went to flat-tow it back.

We put all the removed parts in the back of the 5-ton, got everything on the deuce ready for towing, hooked up the tow bar and off we went.
Now most stories would end with that, but this was a Sarge and Rory trip… What can happen on a 40 mile trip you say?? Ha..

After about 10 miles, coming around a curve, in my mirror I noticed the deuce peeking out a bit to my left as if it wanted to pass. Now we all know an unoccupied truck on a tow bar should NOT do this. It did this a couple more times as I looked for a spot wide enough to stop. Turns out that three of the four bolts that hold the right tow bracket on had departed the area, the rear most bolt being the only one left. This allowed the bracket to rotate about that bolt, thus allowing the swing to the left. We dug around, found a couple of bolts the right size elsewhere on the deuce and fastened the tow bracket down tight. We figure the bolts must have been loosened up when they took the grill off, the stress of the tow being enough to convince them to go.

Onward, with the deuce obediently following as it should. A few miles later, the rearmost right inner dual gave up the ghost with a bang that would put a howitzer to shame. No biggie, didn’t need that one. Its partner on the left side went much more quietly.

A few more miles and we were safely on the Flying F. While unhooking the tow bar from the M813, I noticed the retaining clip on the tow bar foot pin had snapped, fallen out, and the pin was partially out. Not sure how that happened, and it happened in just a few miles. Even though we never went over 35 mph on the whole return trip, it could have been very exciting if that pin had come all the way loose.
But it didn’t, so the story ends there.

Cheers

Pic 1- Sarge expresses his delight as he examines his ‘new’ truck
Pic 2- Getting the tow bar hooked up
Pic 3- M813 ready to pull the M49 out
Pic 4- Safe at its new home
Pic 5- The wandering pin

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow,good story. Glad nothing too bad happened. I would love to see the look on the 85yr old lady driving next to the truck when that tire exploded.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. Gimpy, fortunately we were out in the boonies and the only one nearby when the tire went was Sarge, who was following me in his Suburban (if possible, always take a chase vehicle!). I would have paid to have seen his face, he said he came perilously close to dampening his trousers when it happened.

As regards the tow bar foot pin (correct term??), if it came out because I hooked it up incorrectly and someone wants to fire a blast of flames my way, feel free. I have thick skin, I'm willing to learn, and I DON'T want it to happen again! I've done several tows with them installed like that with no problems. If it was correctly installed, perhaps it was the windy up and down road through the Texas hill country that stress tested it?

And yes, it will be returned to its former coat of green, so it need not be shamed further by its current attire. It is a bit rough, but basically a good truck.

Cheers

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pin is actually a shackle pin. That diaper pin that holds it in is very whimpy in size compared to the correct towbar pin. Great looking truck for a great price. Congrats to you Rory and John as well

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Correct pins", hmmmm... I used the pins from the 813s front shackles, so those are not what go with the tow bar? I have previously missed that point, so it goes to show you can always learn more.:oops:

I always thought those diaper pins (very appropriate Kenny!) were wimpy, now I need to do some searching to find out what I am supposed to be using. I recall seeing a pin with a flat edge to the head, that looks like it might mate with the flat part on the tow bar foot. Is that what is correct??

Gimpy, that would make sense to me, but we actually took the whole affair loose when we were putting the bolts in, then reattached and checked everything. I would suppose the incredibly twisty, hilly roads we traversed put a great deal of side load on those shackles/pins.

Anyway, I try to do these things right and certainly don't want to be responsible for any 14k# missiles loose on the roadway, so no more towing until I am sure I have the right gear. I will now go back and re-read every tow bar post I can find.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cdub

Hi Rory,

Wow.......nice save of the M49C. I'm sure Sarge will do a great paint job on her.

Sorry to hear about the tow bar thing......and the tire.......you guys got lucky for sure.

Try to make sure the next time out that all the tow bar pins are changed to this type and I even carry some extra 3/4" and 1" pins just incase.

Glad to hear you guys made it home safe and sound.

Good Luck with the ' New ' M49C.

Cheers,

Craig

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I feel like a total dumba**! I read the tow bar manual in the past before I ever used it, and just never clicked on those pins. I guess I was busy assuming they were the ones already on the truck and missed the obvious. I just read it again, and it is blatantly obvious that they are a different pin. Doh! :roll::oops:

Are those pins easy to find in 1"?

Michael

The correct towbar pin is harder to find by itself than a complete towbar set. I wonder if it would be just as safe to take shackle pins and drill out the hole to take the bigger retaining pin? Those are a standard item that can be bought at Tractor Supply or NAPA.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rory tell Sarge he needs to finish a few of those other projects before he takes on new ones. If he's going to keep dragging home these whales he's going to need one big a**ed paint booth in that new shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks