• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery:M105A2 From Fort Lewis (pics)

Deuce_of_Spades

I want to start by saying thanks to Kurt (SS Name, kurtkds). We had never met before except on here and he met me at the gate, took me through base and helped me get all set up and on my way!!! Thanks Kurt! SS Rocks!!!

So anyways, I drove 155 miles up to Fort Lewis WA. from Portland OR. I was supposed to have a co-pilot but he bailed at 11pm the night before so no chance finding another one!

I got the base at 10:30am and there was Kurt to meet me. We went to GL and had a super easy time with them. "Just sign here, and pull your truck in!!!" It was pretty much that simple!!!

She was way nicer than I expected for my 90 dollars. She had new wiring harness, new plug and cord to plug in deuce, new landing gear, fiberglass sides and new brake resevore.

Kurt showed me a few things, taught me a few things and got me all squared away.
And then I fallowed him out the gate and off I went!!! Tows like a "brick"! Right Kurt?
But had no problems all the way home. 70 all the way.

The biggest thing I learned? I couldn't have done it without Steel Soldiers!

PS- My pics went in backwards, even when I thought I had them straight in the preview.

Attachments

Deuce_of_Spades

Anyone have any tips on how to free the pintle from the trailer. I want to rotate it from the lower position up to the higher position to be able to use it on my Deuce. Kurtkds gave me the "Jerking" tip buit I jerked that trailer clear accross the parking lot. I tried some wd40 and a few sledge hammer taps to the sides too but to no avail. I'm going to get a little more aggressive with it tomarrow. Just thought someone may have another bright idea.

kurtkds

I didn't say "jerk" it... Hook the trailer up to the Deuce then attach your tractor to the back end of the Trailer. Then remove the cotter pin from the nut that holds the pintle in place and back off the nut about an inch then apply tension on the eye by pulling back with you tractor so your trying to "stretch" the hitch out. Once you have tension on it take a sledge hammer and give the straight part of the eye a good smack. That joint is a tapered pin so by hitting it with some tension applied will cause it to come loose. It may take a few good hits to get to come loose, but as long as the nut is still in place it won't completely come apart. It will probably help to hit the joint from several angles to work the pin loose.

Once it comes apart rotate it then line up the machined flat spot on the base of the eye with the stop that is attached to the trailer the cinch it back down.

With this method it is important that you keep tension on the hitch until it comes loose. I use the example of pulling with a tractor Because I believe that Deuce of spades said that he had one at home. When I used this technique on my M105 to flip the eye both ways once to use behind my blazer then back to use with the Deuce I attached the trailer to a telephone pole with a chain then used the tow vehicle to put tension on the hitch. To give an idea of the amount of tension. I had my son in the blazer with it in drive but idling while I gave the eye a good smack.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on a successful recovery. I've pulled a couple home myself and love to hear when others get great deals. I, too, recover mine with the tailgate down. I always carry my trusty hi-lift jack as well. I say you got a god deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks